O/T good hoisting points - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

O/T good hoisting points

Hi,
I worked on my I-258 quite a bit, but I never pulled it out of CJ7. I am thinking of getting a cherry picker with engine stand (see attached image or click here ), but I am uncertain about hoisting points on the engine. So my question is two part:
1. What do you think of that hoist + stand (good, bad, ugly, etc.)?
2. Where/How do I hook up hoist to safely pull the engine out?

Thanks a lot,
Igor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028596-Hoist and Stand.jpg (12.7 KB, 26 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:06 PM
BigUgly

Re: O/T good hoisting points

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
(good, bad, ugly, etc.)?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, don't be getting personal. I don't have a 258 so, I can't help you there. As for the hoist combo it looks interseting. Can you take the boom off when not using the hoist? Does it fold up when not in use? If not it will take up garage space. It's a neat idea but, What if you have an engine on the stand and need to pull another one? L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:08 PM
Keyboard Implanted

That is a very good question. I would like to know the best/safest places to hook up a hoist to a 2.5L if anyone knows. And I would also love to know the best way to go about hooking to the motor. Do you use a bolt. It can't be safe to wrap chain around the motor. I hope that someone with experence in this area can let on some good advise.

As far as that hoist. I do not think that I would get one with a stand built in. Because once you put your engine on that stand... You will not be able to use your lift. Unless you take the motor off. I would get the hoist, and also an engin stand. So you can use your lift to move around other heavy things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

BigUgly , funny one [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
I am looking to buy this, so I don't know if you can take off boom when not using it as a hoist (did not see it described like that in the catalog but I'll call 800#). I know that it can be folded when not in use. Also boom adjusts from 1/2 ton to 2 ton capacity. Engine stand part of this is detachable, supports up to 1500 lb, and mounting head has 360 deg. of rotation.
I don't think that I will be pulling two engines at the same time so this combo (should) work for my needs.
Igor
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:25 PM

Kinda cool idea, but I think I'd stick with the standard separate components. That'll take up a lot of space when you're only using it as a stand, plus the boom is in your way when you're working on an engine on the stand.
I usually attach a chain to the front valve cover/head bolt (sometimes there's a double nut on them and the top most nut has a large integral washer) and the dipstick tube bolt. If I have the valve cover off, I bolt a leveler directly to the head bolts.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:33 PM

I just use a piece of good chain, and a couple of short grade 5 or 8 bolts screwed into the block, the higher up on the block the better so it isn't unstable. One bolt each side, one bolt closer to the front, one closer to the back. A proper engine lifting chain would have plates on the end of the chain that you bolt to the engine. Also a bar with an adjustable centre allows you to balance the motor off the crane's hook to keep it level. None of which I have and I've installed a 460 into a van with air conditioning. That was probably the biggest motor and tightest spot I've worked in. I've seen bolts that are broken off on engines that have been removed and it may have been by lifting them by a bolt. Keep the bolt short and screw it down tight against the block with the eye of the chain under it and you should be good. Only lift it from the block or head, not the manifold or anything soft like the water pump,etc. (ok, I know that sounds obvious.) You drop that engine and you and that engine are toast.

Personally, I'd use an engine stand separate from the crane. To lift the motor high you may need to extend the arm. With the arm extended, how do you lower the motor onto the built in stand?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:08 PM

Thats nice but you might want to remove the motor stand from the frame till you get it out of the Jeep to get closer to the center of the motor. The best engine sling will have a flat or slightly angled plate on each end with a flat plate in the center of the chain. This plate will have a slot that allows you to move it along the chain a lock in place to get a balance. to tie to the motor put one end on the back side or center of the head using a good grade 5 bolt at about 3/8 or bigger, the other end should be on the oposit side and in the front side or center. The head bolts or manifold bolts / studs can be used. Make sure you get enough of the bolt in to hold well at least 6 to 8 threads and have a washer to not let the bolt pull through the chain/plate which ever you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode