Oil Leak at Distributor? - Easy fix ???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Oil Leak at Distributor? - Easy fix ????

My '84 CJ7 258 appears to have an oil leak at the distributor. Is this possible? I have resealed the alumina valve cover and don't think it is leaking down. If so I assume there is some sort of gasket that needs replacing. How do I do this job without completely screwing up my timing? I am not too good at setting timing and would rather avoid this if possible. Any guidance/suggestions as to the specifics of the job would be greatly appreaciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:36 PM

Re: Oil Leak at Distributor? - Easy fix ????

You have to pull out the distributor to change the gasket beneath its flange. If you are not prepared to re-set the timing yourself, I can't see how you can do this job as it would be very difficult to remove and re-install the distributor without changing the timing.

It's quite possible that it does leak oil at the distributor base. Mine seeps a bit there. Just in case its not, clean up that area thoroughly and make certain where it is coming from.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 01:18 PM

Generally this is caused by an over-pressurization of the crankcase brought on by I don't know what. Often you will notice a small puff of oil vapor coming from the valve cover if you remove the oil filler plug. The oil that you noticed near the distributor is really the oil vapors escaping the crankcase between the block and distributor shaft. There is a thin gasket found on the shaft that may need replacing. Pulling the distributor is a very simple and easy job. You can make it easy by removing the valve cover and the distributor cap. Rotate the engine until the timing mark lines up on the zero degree mark on the damper pulley. Check to see that both valves are closed on the #1 cylinder This will insure that you are at TDC for the #1 cylinder. Mark where the rotor is facing reference the distributor housing with a felt tip pen. Then unbolt the clamp and pull the distributor out of the block. Reassembling is just as easy. Just make sure after you drop it in the rotor points to the exact position you marked on the housing. If it didn't pull it back out and reset it again, except turn the rotor slightly in one direction or another.

I have seen rebuilt engines with the same condition you are discribing! I just don't know what causes the problem. However, it does not lead to noticable oil comsumtion.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 01:25 PM

One thing I forgot after reading Tim's post is to mark the base of the distributor where the clamp is.

Put a mark on the base of the shaft and continue it down on to the block. This will insure the timing will remain about the same as before you pulled the distributor. Simply line the two marks up to there original position and you are as good as gold.

Fran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode