spacer in between flexplate and the crank ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

spacer in between flexplate and the crank ?

spacer installed between the flexplate and the crankshaft?

I was having a little mating problem with installing my TF727 to my 360 in a Cj... I posted in the BBS, converter won't fit either... And Thanks to LEVE we've figured out that it needed a spacer between the crank and flywheel.
We stabbed the trans on the motor and the converter just touches the crank. Spinning freely in the bellhousing, so now I know the pump isn't getting crushed in the tranny. Pulled the trans back and installed the flywheel, and restabbed, with yes, about a 1/4" between Flywheel and converter bolt holes. If anyone can help me with locating this part on the web, or maybe a spare in your collection that would be for sale?

Once again thanks LEVE for your help!
Hotrodjim48 [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:26 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: spacer in between flexplate and the crank ?

AFAIK, the TF flexplate DOES NOT require a spacer and bolts directly to the crank flange. The TH400 DOES need this spacer to make up for bellhousing adapter.
Sounds like you might have the wrong flexplate or didn't have it indexed correctly. Are you sure you have 727? Does the flexplate have 4 holes for the convertor bolts? It should! Did you check the crank for presence of a pilot bushing? Might cause some issues if not removed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wrong Flexplate, maybe... It does have four holes almost square pattern but isn't. The flexplate is flat like, but on the starter teeth it comes out a little... There is no pilot bushing in crankshaft. But hole in crank is still too small for converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:16 PM
Old Hand

Weren't some of the 360's delivered without the larger hole required for some auto's?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm thinking that is the crank I have... Any suggestions?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:37 PM

What year 360 are u using? Not sure if this is the same thing u are talking about, but when I put the 360 in my jeep with a TF999 tranny, I had to remove a bushing that was in the hole in the center of the crankshaft so the torque converter would mate against the flex plate properly. My 360 came out of a 1977? wagoneer with a th400 tranny, and I had to take this bushing out so the converter to fit properly.....of course I already had the engine and tranny bolted together when I realized the engine wouldn't turn over so I could get the torque converter bolts lined up [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]...then I had to pull the motor again and remove this bushing...hope this helps...Ben
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 05:54 PM

You are correct some of the earlier 360/401 cranks were made with the smaller hole for pilot bushings only not made for the auto. These are rare but do surface every so often. I can't remember the dates on these but a crank shop should be able to tell you that info.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

77' 360ci with standard trans. tf727 came from 83-84' J10 model that had 360ci. So I WAS thinking it would be an easy swap.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:20 PM

HotrodJim,

could you post a pic of your flextplate and crank shaft end like you did your converter?

Im still thinking youve got a wrong componenet in there somewere.

I just reread your post here, it seems pretty obvious youve got the wrong flexplate right?
I mean with out the flexplate ,the tranny bolts up and teh converter spins freely..?

then with teh flexplate the converter wont reach the flexplate?

what am I missing?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 09:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sure : ) I will post them by tonight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode