Soft Top Help/Pics? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:57 AM
nelj25

Soft Top Help/Pics?

Hello all,

I have a couple questions for those of you who might have a CJ7 with factory steel doors. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

I have a CJ7 with factory steel doors and what I believe might be the original (or at least a dealer replacement) soft top. It has the white Jeep label with Whitco special equipment label on the side just above the snaps on the passenger side.

I need a replacement, but it seems noone makes a replacement for the steel doors that I can use the original hardware (I have the bows and door frame surrounds). So, it looks like if I want to get a new top, one option is Bestop Supertop, but this has the rail system, and the tech guy said that the old snaps will show.

I know I'm being picky, but I don't want the snaps to show. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Does anyone have:

1) Soft top advice for my situation
2) pictures of a CJ7 and a supertop so that I can see what the exposed snaps look like
3) Other suggestions - maybe if anyone has a NOS Whitco top/

Thanks
nelj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:54 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Soft Top Help/Pics?

Go with the supertop. You wont regret it. Its a darn nice top. If you dont like the look of the snaps being there, take them off and put stainless steel screws in there place. Ethier that or start welding the snap holes shut.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:58 AM
nelj25

thanks for the reply pontiac. Any advice on black vs black denin? Any advantage to either?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I have the black demin. I should have went with the nutmeg or tan demin though. The black stains really easy with the orange clay we have around here. Plus all my interior is tan.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 01:21 PM
BigUgly

I have a SuperTop on my `62 CJ5 and it was worth every penny I spent on it. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]I have a couple of pix up on my webpage. www.geocities.com/javracer L8r,

TheBigUgly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Old Hand

The denim is extremely hard to clean.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a Supertop (for hard doors) that came with my CJ when I bought it. It is a good top, but while not as hard to clean, I don't really like the "cheesy" shiny look of the regular black. I like the denim batter.

Another thought is this. Look for a wrecked YJ with a soft top for hard doors, for the hardware, top, or both. They are a little different, but I bet could be adapted well. While your snaps will show, the rail system really works much better, and you won't be busting snaps. If you want to go crazy, you'll then be able to purchase the Sailcloth verson of the top from Bestop. These things are sweet! Quiet and warm.

You could put some caps over your snaps, or remove them and do some light bodywork.

All this being said, I understand how cool it is to have original stuff, and a NOS top with snaps would still be kind of cool.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:06 AM
nelj25

Thanks everybody for the advice. I appreciate it.
nelj
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 01:27 AM

I don't have a full soft top, but my tonneau cover uses the same rail system.. I don't mind it.. Anyway, here's a pic..

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1030132-CJ-7_Rear.jpg (55.7 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode