A couple of Q's, some theory, oppinions... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 03:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple of Q\'s, some theory, oppinions...

1. Thanx LEVE, thanx a lot! As you suggested, I made some shock bushings myself, from that boat-stuff. It's quite amazing how easy it was. And how nicely the YJ handles bumps now! It's like a new Jeep now!

2. I had my sparks checked by a mechanic. For free, of course [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img], cos I told him I'd buy'em from him if they're to be changed. As he said, they look like they have some 3,5k miles on them. And they don't - they have 6k at least (I bought YJ with those sparks on, so since I have it it's been a bit over 6k miles). They show just normal (ideal) wear. Which leads me to conclusion that engine is running pretty much optimal. If it was running lean or rich, sparks'd be damaged (after 6k miles), no? Also, no oil on'em. Meaning rings are OK.
Am I right here?

3. About a lift: in add-a-leaf kits you add a leaf (strange, no?). So the ride becomes stiff as hell. But if you get just longer main leaf (the one with eyes) and replace the original one? Then it's not adding a leaf, then the ride should be (pretty much) the same. Or am I loosing something here?

4. Anybody knows anything about propane-buthane? I was
thinking about having a system installed: cost is not that high,
it then excludes you from the emission tests, you get to run at 1/2 the price per mile... Only negative thing is that the gas tank occupies space, but I think I could live with that. Any other oppinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 07:35 AM

Re: A couple of Q\'s, some theory, oppinions...

I'll only comment on number three. I don't think you could change just a main leaf. You need to maintain the same eye to eye distance. Otherwise you would just push your shackle out, resulting in a rougher ride because you will be "bottoming" the spring. I once had a SRS and had the shackles raked back too far. Every dip in trail or hard braking and I was banging the frame.

Noticed where you are from. My father in law comes from somewhere around there. I forget the name of the village he grew up in, but Zagreb was the nearest big town to him.

Max
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Noticed where you are from. My father in law comes from somewhere around there. I forget the name of the village he grew up in, but Zagreb was the nearest big town to him.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice to find somebody now and then who knows where Zagreb is [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You need to maintain the same eye to eye distance.

[/ QUOTE ]
Does this meand that all lifts (the leaf springs in lift kits) maintain the eye-to-eye distance? Something like this:

where A is always the same, regardles of the lift height, but only B changes to B' depending on lift?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:51 PM

Nice illustration. Yes you are correct in your drawing.

I wouldn't go add a leaf unless a new spring pack is cost prohibitive. If they simply swap in one new leaf without re-arching the others to the new height, the springs will be less effective, as they will be fighting each other.

If you can handle the stiffer ride, having the pack re-arched and an additional leaf added will work. If you are really hard on the springs, they will flatten out to some degree. Don't forget that if you lift it a lot, you will need to make other changes such as longer shocks, brake lines, steering corrections, and possibly experience driveshaft vibration unless corrections are made there as well. A lift opens a whole can of worms. Not insurmountable obstacles, but be sure to know what you are getting into.

A mild suspension lift combined with some body lift (2 inches or less) is a reasonable compromise and helps keep costs and complications down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode