53 willy's cramping problem. Any suggestions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

53 willy\'s cramping problem. Any suggestions?

I'm looking into a 53 willy's, but I notice one big problem. I can barely fit. My knees are under my chin just sitting in it. It doesnt have the original seats. Are their any certain seats or ways of mounting them that can help? Im only 5'10", and I cant imagine what it would be like driving one of these if your taller, yet ive seen people 6'5" or so in them. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I'd love to buy this thing as its been very well put together. Only a couple of places i see rust and none of it is on the frame. all the running gear is great except for the fact that the guy welded the front differential [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Also, is the cj5 much more comfortable as far as leg room?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 53 willy\'s cramping problem. Any suggestions?

i have a 42 and i have aftermarket sets there pushed back as far as thay can go and im still cramped im like 5'10" so as far as i know youll just have to squeze (sp?)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:43 PM
Way Outta Control

They are small - it helps if you raise the seats up and tilt
them back a bit.
I have to do that to almost everything I own, and I'm
only 4' 25".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:42 AM
M38

you need some stock type seats. I'm 6.1 and fit in mine my butt is kind off sticking out the hole but it's not that bad

It sounds like you have some kind of low back bucket, whats eating your room is the thick seat bottoms and backs

I recently had some cushions made and only made the backs about an 1 1\2 thick the bottoms are about 3 1\2

I wish I would have went 2 inches on the bottoms though becouse now I sit a little high in the seat, I figure they will settle though

I made the backs like a pillow case so they slip down the back and have velcro on the bottom so I can pull them off

The bottoms have 4 "ears" on them so they come right off with velcro too

I plan on in the future duplicating the seat back and bottoms, and instead of bolting to the floor they will attach too the cage....someday

I also modified my colum so the wheel is a bit (1 inch) closer to the windshield

clint
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Old Hand

Another option is to convert to a saginaw steering from the ross and put a tilt wheel in it. Makes it a better driver.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:59 AM
Mud in my Veins

My bud Tomcat's building a '46 but was faced with the same problem. He ended up "adding" a foot or so to fit his um, portly self.
'46 Flattie
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 06:36 PM
Nickmil

Another option, although it requires some work, is to notch the front bottom of the rear wheel well and weld in a new
piece of sheet metal. You can configure it to move the seat back about 3-4 inches if done right. The early CJ-5 is
a little better but still tight. The later CJ-5 was redesigned enough to give decent room, but can still be tight for
a larger person. Nickmil. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Enthusiast

I'm 6' and manage ok with stock seats. On a stock seat frame you can raise it up an inch a back 2 with a simple mod to your frame. Somewhere I have seen a kit to modify the wheel well and extend the stock seat frames to give an extra 3-4 inches. After seeing the pictures, I'll do my own mods and save about $400.

BP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode