74 CJ5 3spd to 4spd conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

74 CJ5 3spd to 4spd conversion

Hi...I have a 74 CJ5 and I am wanting to swap out my 3spd w/ a 4spd T-18/T-18A. What tranny will bolt up with the least amount of trouble/modifications? And are there any web pages that describe this process? All help would be appreciated. Thanx, Kooper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 04:21 PM
Old Hand

Re: 74 CJ5 3spd to 4spd conversion

I had a T-18 out of a 78 HONCHO Jeep truck in a 78 CJ-5 it only had a 8 in drive shaft tho ,,, make sure you find one with out the adaptor on it so it will clear the dash of a truck ,,, to make mine shorter I had to find a short input shaft for it ,,,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:06 PM
BigUgly

A few more things you need to know, what engine do you have? What Tcase? and what is your budget? These are a few things that are important. I have a 383ci sb Chevy with a T18, D18 combo, If you go to Adavance Adapters or Novak's websites you can find the kits and trannies that fit. I used the AA kit that came with an input shaft and adapter. This kit cost about $400.00. I had Mile Hi Jeep Rebuilders rebuild and install the kit. Might as well do a rebuild now while it is out. Expect to modify the driveshafts mine is rear one 12 1/4. Another thing you can do is search for T-18 in the search block at the lower right corner of the forum page. Good luck on the swap you will be happy [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] with the 6.32 1st gear. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:16 PM
RedSandDog

Do you have a T-18, cuz they are ahrd to come buy. One sold on e-bay for $620 today. I am going the NP435 route just cuz I could actually find one (of course it'll need an adapter $)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:19 PM

The T-18A is the one that will bolt in with the least work. Look in the tech section of this forum for a
detailed how to.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:25 PM
BigUgly

I got mine for $25.00 from a guy that rolled a J4000 with the 6.32 1st gear [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. It had an input shaft of about 16" long with AA kit #712512 I put it in behind the small block Chevy. I have seen alot in the local boneyards in the J series and Waggys. Here in Denver we have, "Pullnsave" that sells any transmission for $67.00 plus core for any model. http://www.pullnsave.com This is a self serve yard that gets about 200 cars a week, so, they don't know exactly what they have. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did the same swap in my 79 CJ-5 w/ a T-150 and an AMC 360. It's fairly simple and the parts are cheap. I took a t-18 out of an older Ford 2wd pickup w/ the wide ratio first, and a T-18 out of a Wagoneer (which had a syncronized first, and too long of an input shaft). From the Ford tranny I stripped the input shaft (which is the correct lenght for use with a stock Jeep bellhousing w/o the spacer used on Wagoneers), first gear, and gear cluster then put them in place of the input shaft, first gear and gear cluster in the Wagoneer tranny.
Then my dana 20 T-case was able to bolt right up to the Wagoneer t-18 without any adapters. You may have to get a different pilot bushing (available from Advanced Adapters) and possibly drill and tap some new holes in your bellhousing. I had to shorten my driveshaft about 2" or so and bend the t-case shifter to line up with the hole in the floor. I was able to sell the leftover parts to a friend so the whole thing only cost about 80 bucks (minus the driveshaft work). [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode