4.3L V6 Engine Swap - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

4.3L V6 Engine Swap

I tried both search functions and could not find anything about the 4.3L V6. I would like to try to put this engine in the Jeep but I have no idea where to start. Here is the Jeep now:

92 Wrangler (Square’s, I know)
Original 2.5 L 4 Cyl
Original 5 Speed
Original transfer case

I would like to do this so my questions are:

1.Have any of you done this? (Got pics?)
2.What all do I need to plan for? (mounts, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, gears, am I worried about to much?)
3.What transmission would work?
4.Just what am I getting ready to get into?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:03 AM

Re: 4.3L V6 Engine Swap

I'm glad to see this topic come up. I too have a '92 YJ with the tired old 4 banger and was thinking of either the 4.3L V6 to swap in, or the Chevy 305. Keep us informed on how it goes.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:40 AM

As far as mating it up to the tranny and bellhousing, the 4.3L is just like a small block chevy. You will certainly need to purchase or fabricate motor mounts. See advanced adapters as this is their game if you are not into fabrication. An important question to answer is whether your tranny is up to the job of handling the added torque of the 4.3L. If it is, you could keep all the drivtrain in the same position, alleviating the need for driveshaft changes, and possibly just use an adapter bellhousing. But if the tranny is too light for reliability, you are into a more major swap here and significant $$$$ unless you are good at scrounging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 09:29 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you have the 4 dinger in the YJ then you have an AX-5 transmission. And there is no real point in trying to make it work with the added power of a V6. It may work for a while, but in a matter of time it will start to fail. That time won't be long if you are running larger tires. To do this swap you are going to need an adaptor or two. You could get a GM transmission, and then get an adaptor to your Tcase. That way you could get a new motor, and trans, and keep your 231, and you would only need one adaptor. I think that with some homework you could posistion the 4.3 in such a way that you could use your driveshafts.
I am also glad to see this topic come up. The 4.3 is a good motor that has about the same performance #'s as the 4.0 I6. But the 4.3 is much cheaper. Because so many people want the 305,s [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] and the 350's [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] The little 4.3's never bring much demand, and the price is alway pretty good.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 07:20 PM
JMZ
Journeyman

Do a search on 350 or YJ350 or SBC. Whatever they are doing you will want to do the same. I just put a 350 in my cj, but my trans and axles were already beefed up. Olin is right about the trans. It is pretty weak. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 10:44 PM

Work in progress ...

Pushed over 1" to passenger side, GM TH350 auto and Atlas (but you can adapt a D300).
Lots 'O room. Will need a new harness, drive shafts, etc ...
A good and popular swap! [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Progress watch ...
TJ Project
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 11:08 PM

I know of dozens of people who have done this swap.
Of the half dozen or so that I am close to,..none have been very pleased with the power. Two of my friends have solved the lack of power problem by going to NOS, but that requires an engine built up to handle abuse of NOS. The others have removed the 4.3 in favor of Ford and Chevy V8's.
With low enough gearing, the 4.3 works fairly well in the rocks, but they have been disapointing when turned loose in sand dunes or mud.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode