New leaf springs = tons 'o room - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

New leaf springs = tons \'o room

Here's a shot of my Jeep with my new springs installed. Man, I got a little bit of room in there [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I think I might need to sell of my 35's and get a set of those new 37" BFG Krawlers [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I'm VERY nervous about how my rear driveline will handle this new increase in height. Anyone have any ideas as to what my options are if it can't handle it? So far my best ideas are either get some 1" motor mounts, or swap in a different tcase. I'm thinking I could sell my 231 for $200-300, buy a used d300 and a flipkit and put that in. I have some steering issues up front aswell. My draglink is hitting the leaf springs. I also believe I'm lacking in the caster department, so I'm thinking of getting some weld on shims to correct that problem, and that will hopefully correct the draglink/rub problem. Any thoughts?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1027318-jeepsprings1.jpg (83.8 KB, 17 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 12:54 AM

Re: New leaf springs = tons \'o room

Hey Jammie
looks good except for the dinky tires! lol yep I think you better get some 37's! After looking at the pic again. i think you could fit 38's no prob! What axles are you runnin? Are you gonna run hysteer? I think that will solve your steering woes. Post some shots of the steering linkage. Wade
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm running D44's at currently, so I don't wanna go too huge, or else I'll just have to go light on the skinny pedal. I think 37's would be a nice balance As for the hysteer, I already have it. I'm running a set of Parts Mike's steering arms and a modified stock g-waggy tierod/draglink. I'll snap a pic when I get a chance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:01 AM

Looks good; it's a lot of work, huh? couple critiques,

Is the weight on the jeep in the pic? The shackle angle looks too straight up and down to me. When I did my SOA with waggy leafs I ended up with a similar front shackle angle and have had a few issues with the shackle flipping back to the frame and bending my main leaf. I wish I would of raked it more forward.

It looks like the diff is pointed up in the picture. If so, then you probably have taken the caster away. The pinion should point slightly down for a proper driveline angle. Pinion output has to be parrellel to the Tcase output, right? And the Tcase points slightly up (at least mine does, on the front side). I think you will need some caster shims to scare away handling problems.

More pics of the steering, definately. I ended up going with a flat pitman arm (camaro, I think), re-reamed from the top for large GM TRE. Draglink goes from pitman to hy steer arm. then I used the factory knuckle holes for the tierod, which is 1 1/4" .250 wall sleeved with 1 1/2" .120 wall.

Absolutely needs 37's [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Max
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the critiques, I needed some.

That's not the full weight of the Jeep. Well, I upfront it mostly is except for not having a battery and a coupe other things. The rear is missing the gastank at the moment. Hopefully after a few rides the springs will sag a little bit and the shackle angle will got back to somewhat normal.

As for the diff, I do believe it is pointed slightly up, this would explaint he problems I've had with steering. How big of shim should I run? I know shims aren't the best idea, but I'm going to get the weld in ones, so it should be ok.

I'll try and snap a few pics of the steering. If my caster is off quite a bit, would correcting it lift the tierod off the top of the leaf? At least a little, right?

Anyone want to buy some slightly used 35's for a nice price?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:32 PM

define nice price. hehe
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Jamgood96. I don't know if I missed it in an earlier post. But what is that Set up you are running. I gathered that you have SOA on a set of D44's. What are those leafs that your are useing. how tall are they. And what were you running when you had the 35's. I would say that you NEED a set of 37's, cause you have a ton of room in there. It really looks good, I would love to know what you are running for springs.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

You are correct, I'm running dual D44's in an SOA config. I'm also running a custom highsteer setup. The new leafs I just installed are the 7lf CJ rear springs from JCW. My old springs were the stock YJ springs and sagging pretty badly. I'm hoping once the springs sag I can get by with my 35's.

wades_76_CJ7 - I'm not sure what a nice price would be Actually probably not that nice of a price, since I'd need a decent chunk of change to go buy a set of 37's. And it'd be a bit since the tires I want aren't even out yet.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What would you recommend for shims upfront? 3 degree? Maybe more? Maybe less? Any idea where I can get some?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the info Jamgood. I am suprised that those are not lift springs. They sure look like it.. Being that they are 7leaf packs I would probably want to stick with the 35's, maybe a set of 36's (but since there is only one inch difference between the two I would probably just wait, till new tires were needed.) I say that because those leaf packs are going to flex like crazy. After they break in a little, and with all that room for those 35's to move around, you may just be able to drive right over a 20* Deg ramp.
I would also think that once you get all the weight in there, and give those springs a little time to "relax" then your shackel angle should improve.

Let me just say that you have a really nice set up, I really dig it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode