first post and a question.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 06:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

first post and a question..

I have an ethical dilemma on my hands. I have a 1985 CJ 7 with 16,000 original miles. This jeep is cherry and still sitting on original tires and rims. Should I drive this baby or leave it in the barn?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:08 PM
Old Hand

Re: first post and a question..

Howdy and welcome,
I'd say get your self some Historic tags and run it in some local parades and such. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Don't hide it in the barn forever. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:39 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Well, I'm not sure where your from but here in IL a vehicle needs to be 25 years old or older to get antique plates. But a Jeep in that kind of shape I would drive every day and flaunt it. Whats the point of putting a Jeep in a garage and just looking at it? Its not a rare vehicle, and its built to be driven. Or you could always donate it to a poor college student who lives in IL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:06 PM

Now that's the kind of problem I would love to have. Drive it like you are in a parade every day. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
PS Leve should be posting favorite speal soon. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:11 PM

I'm with knifeboy - probably because I, too, qualify in that poor college student in Illinois title. Put Knifey and I's name in a hat and draw..... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-pablo
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you want to keep it cherry and you are a historian that's great. Wait for it to become classic and show it in a Mcdonald's parking lot on Saturdays or you drive the crap out of it. Make the Jeep what you want. It's all about what you like to do.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:57 AM

take it off road and rub it all over the trees and bushes back it into a tree or two get it good and muddy bringit home and leave it that way for about a week then you will have an idea on how you want to build it....LOL but seriously just drive it on nice sunny summer days keep it out of snow and salt and rain it should last another 20 years [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:23 AM
Old Hand

I found a 1964 Willys CJ-5 with 20K on it ,,, Very cherry Replaced a few pcs of sheetmetal ,,, put a rollbar in it with 31s under it & chains on them & a Myers snowplow & she is sitting there right now just wanting to get at the 24 ins of [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]snow they call for here in Md ,,,, Run them they LOVE it ,,,,
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would love to drive this jeep every day. But it is not often that you find one in this condition. I just bought another 85 cj to drive but it is a little too rough for me to restore. It is currently advertised for sale. I guess I need to find yet another for everyday use. Another question....are there any websites other than Collinsbros and Austinjeeps that have a good selection of jeeps for sale?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 11:58 AM

I'd drive it. At least in the summer. Putting a Jeep up in storage for extended periods will present it's own set of problems. After driving mine everyday for a while I thought it would be a good idea to park it for a couple of years while I focused on other things and decided what to do with it. I've removed several rodent's nests from under the hood (along with a snake) and have replaced a few fuel lines due to dry rot. My body mounts are dry and cracked, as is the original spare tire, and I know it needs all new bushings. Of course I do have a lot more mileage than you and these things need replacing anyway, but I think that parking it for over two years didn't help matters any.

Just be thorough with your maintenance and upkeep, and keep it off salty roads. If you do park it, just don't forget about it! I know I enjoy driving my Jeep more than just looking at it, which I've done for too long. Besides, you might make some of these guys mad, knowing that you're sitting on a sweet Jeep when they could be wheelin it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode