Question on 31-33" tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Question on 31-33\" tires

Hey everyone. Well I got the old tax return today, and decided to blow every penny of it on the YJ. My father had suggested that I pay off some of my student loan with it - but he relented. I think he's getting the idea.

The first thing i did was order the rough country 3.5" lift. I've heard some not-so-great things about it here on the board, but upon talking to a couple of local guys, including one who's done several frame-up restos & wheels almost every day, I decided I was willing to live with the more punishing street ride that I've heard it offers. I know I could spend $300 more and get a skyjacker, but, well, that's $300, and that's my budget for tires.

Anyways, on to the real question - can I run 31, 32 or 33 inch tires w/my stock wheels? i've got 255-70r-15's on there right now... Is it going to be a huge problem fitting the larger tires on my present rims? If so, can someone give me a good source for just plain, black steel wheels. I don't want any glitzy crap. Just the most durable, plain jane black wheel that I can get for not that much loot.

Thanks,
Pablo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 04:16 PM
RedSandDog

Re: Question on 31-33\" tires

Depends.

I think you have 7" wide wheels (anybody, anybody?), so 9.5's or 10.5's, probably. 12.5's probably not.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm runnin 33x10.5's on stock alum. rims and go down to 8 psi off road and don't have any problems. I've heard some people run 12.5's on stock rims but thats pushin it. You'll probaly have to adjust your steering stops so they won't rub at full lock but you shouldn't lose to much of your turnin radius. Have fun installin your new altitude! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:26 PM
Old Hand

The stock steel wheels on my YJ are 6". [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Any 15" tire up to 10.5" wide should work on those stock wheels w/o any problems. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 09:51 PM

Well, to stay narrow enough, you probably don't want to go wider than 10.50. There are several good tires in the size range you are thinking. I'm running 33x9.50 Trail Marks. You might be able to find some older BFG MTs in that size, also Interco makes some swampers that size. BFG is also making a 33 x 10.50 in the new MT/km. (What I really wanted originally, but I got 5 Trail Marks, 5 new rims mounted and balanced for the price of 4 BFGs the same size--and so far they have been an EXCELLENT tire) If you don't mind staying with a 31 x 10.50, you can have anything and everything under the sun. I'm throwing on a pic of my spare so you can see what I'm running--oh, and they are on 15x7 rims, with standard backset....they tuck up nicely! Hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1027185-tire1.jpg (51.8 KB, 1 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

so I can squeeze 33's onto my stock 7" rim? I plan on getting new wheels, at some point, I just don't have the dough right now...

-pablo
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 03:53 PM

Well, NARROW 33s, sure. I know the 9.50s are fine, 'cause I'm running them. Interco recommends a 8.5" rim for their 33x10.50 radial. They also recommend a 7" rim for their 32X10.50 radial! The recommend 7" for their 34x9.50 Special service. On the SSR they recommend a 7"-9" rim for their 35x10.50. The Tire Rack says on BFG 33x10.50s (both MT/km and AT/ko) you can use any rim 7"-9". So, IF you have 7" stock rims (and not 6") you should be able to run up to a 10.50 tire in the 31"-33" range. 'Course when you pick out a tire, it's always best to ask the shop putting them on....really helps on the warranty if anything goes wrong if you asked their advice first. Hope this helps!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:13 PM

I have 5 15x8 black 5x4.5 767 steelies that will be for sale very shortly (well as soon as i get my front axle under my jeep and if all goes as planned i should have it under my jeep next weekend, 3 are already sitting on my garage floor, i just have to get my front axle with the right bolt pattern under my jeep). They are in alright shape with a couple little scrapes and maybe a ding or 2. I'm looking for $100 for the set of 5 if your interested.

BarrelRoll
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Andy - I'll take them... I'll need them in about 2 weeks or so... Let me know.

Thanks,
Pablo
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 04:18 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

LOL @ Bob's backseat.
Man, I thought I was all about "keeping it simple"
But, is that a back seat in in that CJ-5 ?
I luv it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode