TJ intermittent vibration question...butt tickler. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ intermittent vibration question...butt tickler.

I have a 1999 TJ 4.0L Auto that originally came with a soft-top, but I found and added a hard-top to help deal with the NW-Pennsylvania winters. I have a 2.5" Skyjacker suspension lift (with the transfer case spacers) that is designed for use with a hard-top. I run 32" tires on Rockcrawler wheels. I recently installed a 4.10-geared rear axle and had the front Dana 30 re-geared to match.

It has a vibration that begins at highway speeds (55mph+) that is very rhythmic. It runs about 1 second on then 1 second off. It doesn't matter if I hit bumps in the road or not, as long as the speed is maintained it keeps it's pattern. It's just a slight tickle and noise, nothing too obnoxious...I'm just wondering if I should be worried about my next long-drive down the road.

It did not do this when I had the lift and tires and everything the same but with 3.07 gears. I figure that it is showing up now because the driveline is turning at a higher rate because of the re-gearing. I remember the Skyjacker instructions saying something about vibration and a special adapter (or something) to stop it.

Is this something that a S.Y.E. would most likely eliminate? I have been holding off on that project until I go with the 5.5" lift which will be just down the road instead of having to buy another (longer) driveshaft.

THANKS for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Old Hand

Re: TJ intermittent vibration question...butt tickler.

I wouldn't think you'd need a SYE because A) it's only 2.5" of lift and you have the t-case spacers B) you didn't (knowingly) change the pinion angle and it worked fine before.
You say you put in a 4.10 geared axle, was this a complete axle you bought and bolted in? What's it from? Custom made or stock? Get an angle finder and check the pinion and t-case angles.If the control arm mounts are positioned just a little different than the other axle's were, the pinion angle could be off. It could also be a slight tweak to a tube on the axle you bought. Or a tire worn a little uneven that was put on the opposite side during all the work. Lot's of possible causes, I just learned to live with my slight vibe that comes in from 65-75, but that's running on unbalanced 35" mtr's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode