ground up build of CJ-8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ground up build of CJ-8

so I'm sitting here flipping through the new quadratec and it looks as though you could build any Jeep from the ground up... Has anyone ever done this...start with a new set of tires and buy/scavenge new/used part all the way to the bikini? How do you licence one of these? What do you do about a VIN?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:05 AM
Dean

Re: ground up build of CJ-8

I'm in the middle of building a CJ-8 from scratch now. Almost everything being put into it is brand new or being built from scratch, except for the drive train which I'm pulling from my CJ-7. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about getting it titled yet, but there are a couple of options - either use an existing title and VIN from a scrapped CJ-8, or apply for a new VIN and title from the DMV.

Dean
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:36 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I built my CJ-7 basicly from the ground up using the drivetrain from a rotted out Jeep with a good title and vin tag. I just "Restored" my Jeep using a new frame, body, top, bottom, tires...well, all I really used was the hood, drivetrain, dash, and vin tag/title. I suggest buying a Junk CJ (7 or 8) and use what you can then buy the rest. If I were thinking straight, I would have built a CJ-8 (since i had to buy a frame and body and all the hard lines, all that would have been 'extra' would have been a rear driveshaft.) If you have an existing and titled Jeep, you are only restoring it by replacing all the parts. If you start from scratch...it's a whole new mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:12 PM

DON'T try to build one and get a VIN tag & title, you'll have to meet all the current emissions/safety regs and be out a whole lot more muulah & frustration. Buy a good title & tag and "rebuild" it, the older the model the better to avoid newer regs.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 10:03 PM

I did this. i had a '76 CJ7. i started out doing a tub swap. then i found my frame was a bit rusty. I got a good deal on a Wrangler frame and decided to just use that. Well, i have no idea how much i have into this '76 YJ but I bet I could have bought an early Yj for the same price! the only thing i am using from my CJ is the steering column, shaft, box, and dash! Oh and the title and vin tag! You can check out some pics at www.mudmaniac.com. click on the brutus link
Wade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode