Im Curious, ZJ to CJ swap (long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Im Curious, ZJ to CJ swap (long)

i did a search and came up with a few answers but trying to find more

im in the process of tearing down my 76 cj5 cause the body its totally trashed and i might as well do all the swaps right now while its down (tranny,axles,etc. etc.)

just the other day a guy offered me a complete 95zj (rolled) for 1k, and the PO is my sister-n-law so i know it has a good engine and other eqipment, I dont know what tranny it has (auto though) but it does have the 5.2 and 242 t-case

what im wanting to do is build a mild wheeler that will also be my DD since ive already got my 7 1/4 lifted Xj on 35's i dont need another heavy duty wheeler
what i was thinking about doing is taking every possible mechanical part (except for the 242) and swap it on the cj, including axles and coil susp (i know "buy a tj") it aint gonna happen, i know the 30&35 are not heavy duty but are strong enough for what i want, I will be fabbing and welding any and everything mount or whatever to make it fit

what im wanting to know is "what can I use?"
like- power brake system?
power steering?
is tranny way too long?
which t-case?
cooling?
use entire wiring harness (eng comp & dash)
aftermarket gauges hooked to factory wires built into custom dash?
seats?
steering colomn?
I know im missing something but ill think of it later

or... if everybody decides im a retard for wanting to do such a complicated swap all at one time ill delete this post and b*tch slap myself and continue to build the cj like i was [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Im Curious, ZJ to CJ swap (long)

The transmission is way to long use your existing transmission and t-case in the CJ. Any automatic you try to put in a 5 will be to long.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 08:52 PM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
i know the 30&amp;35 are not heavy duty but are strong enough for what i want

[/ QUOTE ]

I was under the impression that the V8 ZJs had a Chrysler 8 1/4" rear axle. [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
If they put D35s behind a V8 and the soccer moms aren't ripping them out left and right, then I don't see how I could hurt it with my puny little 2.5. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

unless the 35 and 8.25 axle shafts are interchangeable (which they are not) then its a 35 cause when it got rolled a buddy of ours swapped one of the rear shafts cause he snapped his (he's running 37-13 boggers) but it got replaced after the current owner got it

and i dont know about how long the tranny is but if its possible to run a 700r4 in a cj5 then this one is got to be shorter, ive researched and it is possible to run an automatic and still have a drive shaft left, best swap is a th350 which i just happen to have one sitting in my garage
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 07:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Double check that rear axle. Some ZJs w/ the 5.2 ran a weird aluminum version of the D44. Supposedly not too strong.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 09:34 AM

MY V8 ZJ has the 35 rear. The 44 used had an aluminum centersection, and I believe two piece axles. They are only mariginally stronger than the 35. If I remember right, Corvettes used a similar version of that 44 (with half shafts, no axle tubes).
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

well i know its not a 44 cause ive looked at it before and it has no alum center section, and i didnt mention before that my buddy that swapped out the shaft has a 98 tj w/35

Im just kinda iffy about buying the whole thing if i cant make most of the parts fit like the power brakes and steering box and tranny, doesnt the 5.2 have the cranksensor on the tranny bellhousing too? if it does that is why i would want to use all possible parts, i guess i could buy it and after im done using what parts i need i could just part it out and scrap whats left of the body
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok the real answers....
First of all if its a 5.2 it came factory with a 249 quadratrack with a vicous coupler(crap), if it does have a 242(selectrac) it was swapped in. The difference between the 2 is easy to check, look at the shifter if it has only 4hi and 4lo and N its a 249(run away), if it has 2hi 4fulltime 4 parttime N and 4 LO then its a selectrack. The transmissions for the v8's from 93-95 were a 46RH(basically a 727 with OD) the 4.0's got a 42 RE unless they were an early 93 which they got a AW-4 instead. In 96 the v8's switched to a 44RE(lots of problems with these trannies to small of a tranny) and the 5.9 got a 46RE As for axles. ALL the 4.0's had dana 35c's from 93 to 95 all the v8's did also. In 96 the v8's got a Alum 44 with a alum center section. The actual ring gear is thicker then a standard 44, but for that reason no lockers are made for them.... They are 1 piece shafts. Who ever told you different should pull one apart, there are many grand guy who have them who are running 35" tires with no problem... As for the 35c holding up to v8 power. remeber 2 things, ZJ v8's never came with a Manual transmission and from 93 to 95 they had no low lock. A dif can last a long time when there is no shockload on the system from sudden acceleration. Anyhow thats my 2 cents
Kornchild
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 01:24 AM Thread Starter

well i know its a 95 5.2 auto, i guess i was wrong on they t-case (I dont want the 242 or 249 anyways)

so its got the 46rh tranny which ill have to find out the length of it and if its even close to a th350 then i can use it
I could use my existing t-case providing they bolt up or i could get an adapter, i wonder how long a 231 is with a sye kit installed

I think ive already scrapped the coil spring idea and decided to just use good ol leaf sprung susp since i dont think id have to time to make all the mounts and everything

and i dont think id be running over a 33 or 35" tire so axle strength is not a problem

but has anybody ever used the power steering box and brake booster and related items off of a grand onto a cj?
thats what im wanting to know cause im sure i can fit most other equipment except for researching the tranny and t-case more to decide which to use
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2003, 08:08 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I could use my existing t-case providing they bolt up or i could get an adapter, i wonder how long a 231 is with a sye kit installed

[/ QUOTE ]

The 231 with SYE is 3.5" to 4.5" shorter than the 231 W/O the SYE. Depending on manufacture of SYE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode