Thinking about a Electric fan for the TJ Need Info - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thinking about a Electric fan for the TJ Need Info

I am looking in to what it would take to put an electric fan in the TJ. Those of you who have done it. Did you buy a kit, or go to the junkyard? I prefer the junkyard Idea cause I am cheap. I assume they run off of a sensor, But where does it go in the coolant system at, and how... Info please....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 05:11 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Thinking about a Electric fan for the TJ Need Info

......why?
the power gains are really only at high RPM.
the mechanical fan is awful reliable....
mine cools the stroker.. it ought to cool yours fine...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:26 PM

ive got a elec fan.. in my heep.. cause the fan bearings went out on my way to work one morring in indy bout 2 hours from home.. just happen to do it in front of auto parts store.. couldnt find a replacement fan.. so the electric fan was my choice.. the power is noticeable 2 the 4 bangers.. its not a great deal but every lil bit helps. . and im actually gonna be selling the one i got.. i just ran it toa toggle switch.. the ones that turn on a pre set temps are nice but were bout 250
where i spend 120 on mine.. new..
jeff if u want it ..75 bucks.. and its yours.. then ya fiqure out the temp deal

payton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey Payton when are you comming down??

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:45 PM
FuriousGeorge

if u mount the fan through the radiator, even if its really tight, the bouncing and jarring the jeep goes through will eventually cause the plastic mounts to move around and break the radiator fins, and then drip drip...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:12 AM

as long as we dont get a ice storm.. in the morrin.. ive got a couple of guys coming for parts 2day.. tranny case and front driveshaft are all going.. the axles went last night.. so ive got the cash for my junk now.. im on my way babbby .. lol

ill let ya know .. ive got ur ratchet strap i had planned on throwing out the window as i drove by hahahaha.. lmao

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I work nights tonight, but if you need some help let me know, and I will stay up..
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 02:07 PM
mindbender

I put electric fans in my CJ7. Since I'm always looking for a quality, but do-it-myself project, I choose to make the electric setup for the 258. I picked up a couple of 12" matching Import Vehicle Fans (Honda?). Beside picking up the fan motor and fan blades I also wanted the fans with the 3 or 4 metal brackets supporting the fan motor so I could weld then as needed and not have to fabricate the actual motor supports. I also picked up a flat sheet of steel that would form the base of the shroud for the two new motors and picked up a couple of 2" strips of steel about 3 feet long to form into circles to mount the fan motors into and picked up angle iron to use as supports.

GOALS:
Build a fan and shroud unit that would (a) easily slide in behind the radiator and use existing supports used by factory fan shroud, (b) hold the electric fans at an appropriate distance from the radiator fins, (c) seal all air flow so fans could effectively pull air through the radiator without losing air pressure to holes in the shroud, (d) provide stability from vibration for the 2 electric fans.

BUILDING:
(1) Measured and cut the sheet steel so that it would fit in place of existing factory shroud. However, let the edges of the sheet steel long enough so I could create lips on all sides. The top and bottom lips were made long enough to extend to the radiator and to shut off airflow through the top and bottom between the shroud and radiator. The sides as well as the top and bottom were cut and measured so as to provide adequate offset from the radiator for the fan blades.The lips were to provide the distance of the shroud from the radiator.
(2) Circles were cut out of the sheet steel where the fans would be mounted through the sheet metal and aligned on the radiator. The cutting of the circles considered the width of the salvaged fan blades and the thickness of the flat steel that would be placed inside the circles cut into the sheet steel. The size of the circles resulted in about 1/2" spacing between the two circles on the inside and about an inch spacing between the circles and the outside edges of the shroud. 2-5 inches existed between the tops and bottoms of the circles and the top and bottom edges of the shroud.
With the circles cut slightly larger than the fan blades, I took the 2" flat steel and formed it into a circle inside each of the holes cut through the sheet steel. After cutting length to a tight fit and using of a small ballpin hammer the 2"flat steel liner fit snug up against the edges of the outer sheet steel holes. Removing the 2" piece which formed a circle, I spot welded it so it would hold as a circle.
(3) Leaving the metal braces on the salvaged fans, I cut the braces where they connected to the shrouds picked up with the salvaged fans. What I ended up with were then two fans with the center fan support holding the fan motors and the three braces running from the the supports. Then, taking the fan and supports, I laid them on top of the flat steel circles with the fan blades sticking through the circle. Then centering the fans and trimming and cutting the 3 fan braces, I welded them to the top of the "circled" 2" flat steel that had previously been welded into a circle.
(4) Then taking the salvaged fan, blades, and now the flat steel circles, I inserted it through the hole cut in the sheet steel. Once I measuredd and determined the distance I wanted the fan blades to be from radiator I slide the steel ring in to move the fan closer and out to give more distance. Once I decided on the distance, I then ran a bead of weld around the ring and the flat steel shroud.
(5) Bottom of the shroud was trimmed and adjusted for lower radiator hose and top was slightly cut to permit for upper hose. High temp rubber was used to seal edges and to prevent excessive vibration from the fans.
(6) Additional supports - small piece of steel were welded between the two circles to prevent movement of the fans. Angle iron was placed on the top and bottom of the shroud metal to also prevent flex in the flat steel. Sides did not need this as they mounted easily into the side support bams.

ELECTRICAL
(1) Ran one fan off of the ECM so computer controls would be used for this onboard air, idle, etc.
(2) Ran separate circuit for second. Bought thermostat and mounted on second fan. Then wired in the thermostat as an automatic set slightly higher than the ECM controlled thermostat. Also ran a bypass for this fan with an inside cabin switch to permit manual control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode