Help needed - 100 Acre Wood Rally - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Help needed - 100 Acre Wood Rally

Next weekend, February 21 and 22, Friday and Saturday, is the 100 Acre Wood SCCA Club Rally in south-central Missouri, south and east of Salem.

Due to an impending birth, I have just caught the job of Sweep Coordinator. I need about a dozen 4X4s to follow the rally cars down forest roads and pull contestant's cars back onto the road, onto their wheels, and out to a hard road. There are a few commited to coming but, since I just got the job, I don't know how many will really be there. I don't even know for sure how many I need.

The club rally series is similar to SCCA Pro Rally except with slightly slower drivers. If you've never parked alongside a gravel trail and watched a car blow by at 90 MPH [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] throwing rocks everywhere, try to come. It's something you should do once in your life.

Anyone who's interested let me know, either by post or PM to [email protected] I will have more information in a few days.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 03:16 PM
Old Hand

Re: Help needed - 100 Acre Wood Rally

If you wasn't sooo far away I'd be there. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I always wanted to see one of those races. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Helping out would be even better. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Maryland, eh? Well, let's see; if you left home Wednesday morning and drove straight through, you could be here Friday morning. Do the race, leave late Sunday morning. You could be home by the wee hours Tuesday. Only miss four days work. Yeah, that's the ticket!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Official Historian

I've taken Friday off and should be in Ellington around noon on Friday. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Here's my instructions:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Be in Ellington by 1230pm on friday. At this time you are assigned start control stage 4 and stage 10. Stage 10 is the roughest terrain, and probably the roughest to get to the start point. Last night at a meeting we were considering plans to adjust the start point. 10 is the Suttons bluff, Karkagne run. This is a night time run.

[/ QUOTE ]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 09:45 AM
Spike5421

I'll talk to my buddy's and see if it sounds like a go. What time would we have to be there on friday??? If its a go for us you can count on 2-3 vehicles to help you out. If they don't want to go I owe you for helping me out with my jeep. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Merritt, until further notice go by Will's instructions for 12:30 in Salem. If you can bring a few more with you it will be a GREAT help. Thank you! Thank you!

We also need and will heartily welcome one-day help. Right now I don't know which day is more in need.

Since I just got this job I don't yet have all the information. This afternoon two of the organizers are coming to the shop to bring me up to speed while I work on the CJ. As I get more info I will pass it along.

I do have some 2-meter radio repeater information:

Ch 1 146.57
Ch 2 174.345 + Salem
Ch 3 146.805 - Sullivan
Ch 3A 146.540 Viburnam
Ch 4 146.715 - Potosi
Ch 5 146.835 - Ironton
Ch 6 147.24 Bunker
156.70 Tone

I just got my license earlier in the week. I am KC9DEW. There is supposed to be a complete list of officials and call signs, although some officials aren't hams and will have a ham assigned to them on race day.

I don't know about lodging in the area. Usually things are pretty full, but the rally crowd is very liberal about sharing floor space in their rooms. And the motel management is OK with that since they have a full facility at a time when they normally don't have a soul.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2003, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Will, didn't you want one of my old Jeep parts? Hood? I'm pretty sure I promised you something. I can try to bring it along with me.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Anyone else who can come? At a meeting last night we compared notes and found that there are only three confirmed sweep vehicles, and a half-dozen maybe's. We were hoping to have fourteen!

Due to political realities, a collapsed bridge, and a few people who "Don't want them funny cars racein' by MY place," the rally has gotten more spread out than we wanted. There is a LOT of forest that needs coverage.

Jim

KC9DEW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode