Advice for newbie about Jeeps? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advice for newbie about Jeeps?

Hello everyone,
I am looking to get into offroading, just now have enough dough to do so.
I want to get a JEEP wrangler of some type, and I was wondering, is there any specific model I should be looking for? What would a good starter setup be? This would be used mainly for playing in the dirt and mud, hunting, and cruising for Babes. Any suggestions?

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:13 AM

Re: Advice for newbie about Jeeps?

enough dough!!! You will never have enough dough!!
but if i was to buy a new jeep I would probably buy a
71-73 CJ5. just my .02
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:15 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you are not a newbie YET.

Tell us more about what you are looking for...Wranglers have been around since 1987...Do you want to buy in cheep and build something (87 YJ with a 2.5l gets you started)...or do you want a turn key well built rig (2003 Rubicon). You going to mostly cruise for babes? (slap crome on it...) or use it as a pig? (put swampers on it) is it going to be a daily driver or a trailer queen? Help us to help you. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:23 AM
Can't Get Enough

You definitely want to go with a YJ!! (square headlights) Anything with the round headlights just screams " <font color="red"> r </font color> <font color="green"> a </font color> <font color="blue"> i </font color> <font color="orange"> n </font color> <font color="yellow"> b </font color> <font color="purple"> o </font color> <font color="pink"> w </font color> flag". [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Actually it would depend on your budget and what you ultimately want to do with your rig down the road. For a very capable and very well rounded Jeep, I would check out some early model TJ's (new style Wranglers). You can find a lot of them in the $7000-$11000 range in my area.
If you want something that is very functional and capable, that won't cost you more than $5000 go with a '91 to '95 YJ. The 4.0 in any Jeep is much more reliable than any other motor that came stock, so look for one with that engine.
This is my opinion though....
It's up to you, but feel free to run the description of any Jeep that you find for sale past us to get some good opinions on the deal.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:38 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Welcome to the forum.
2. Thanks for filling out your user profile.
3. Read the New Posters Message at the top of the forum.
4. Participate more often!
5. Two brains are always better'n one!
6. I like CJ's but that's my opinion...
7. But since you asked my opinion...

You're young, you've got a lot to learn. That's the bad part, the good part is you've got lots of time to do the learning. It's going to require patience and time to work out the bugs. You may as well start to do that now.

So, If I could give advice, formulate a policy for buying, repair and upgrading before you buy. Plan now... and buy accrodingly. A plan is a good thing! As example here's miy policy for upgrades:

1. It cannot be so complex the average shadetree mechanic could not understand the upgrade.
2. It cannot be so complex the average shadetree mechanic could not fix it.
3. It cannot be so expensive it consumes your resources.
4. Looking Cool has nothing to do with an upgrade.
6. It has to enhance the peformance of the Jeep.
7. It has to add value.
8. It cannot be something that cannot be fixed in the field.
9. It must use common, avaliable parts, used or new.
10. It must be field fixable without a huge manual.
11. One must not have to call a help line to order parts.
12. It must be able to be able to be fixed with common tools, nothing exotic like computer operated scopes, etc.
13. It must have good reputation in the marketplace.
14. It must be sturdy and easily maintained.

Here's a little advice on how to buy and then work on your Jeep... and believe me, you're going to work on it so you might as well do EACH repair right.. the first time!

1. You will need room. A parking place ain't gonna cut it. Have plenty of room to work, or area where you can store parts. You’ll need lots of room to spread parts from hell to breakfast. There’s nothing worse than working in an area where you have to adjust, move or work around something else. The Jeept has to have a priority in the space. If you buy the Jeep you WILL have to work on it... or pay someone else to do the job. If you work on it, it requires space... and that may be for an extended time.

2. Plan ahead on Paper, you’ll see more of this “plan” revealed as you read down.

3. Establish a budget. This CJ you're contemplatin' is old, and WILL require lots and lots of your money... aside from the purchase price. You may not meet the budget, but it will act as an “official” guideline to meet, or exceed. As an example, the lowly CJ fan control switch, it’s taken apart with 4 tabs... pretty easy to clean, refurbish and reinstall... Or you can buy a new one and install it... it all affects the budget.

4. Establish a time line to get this CJ back into shape. It will NOT be reliable the minute you drive it from the present owners drive. Look at the forums and papers where someone has started a project only to become discouraged, disinterested, or broke. They sell it for about half what they have into the project. That’s not my idea of a good investment. Though you're not buying a "Project," most used Jeeps quickly become that.. some survive and become the greatest vehicle you ever owned... and some just become parts for the rest of us.

5. If you can fix the part for the cost of a tool, buy the tool. A good example would be rust repair. You could buy a fiberglass tub, or repair the old tub. Buy a good wire feed welder and learn to weld. You take away the skill, knowledge and bragging rights as well as the job when it’s finished. No one can every take those things away from you.

6. Buy quality tools, buy the best and buy it once and be done with it. Only the rich can afford poor quality. I bought tools when I was 13 that I still have them 40 years later. They’ve become my friends, and they’ve never let me down.

7. Learn, in your area who to deal with, and who not to. Don’t get taken to the cleaners. That includes who to buy the initial Jeep from. A local Jeep Club is a good place to start.

8. Have an “Authority” on hand to critique your purchase, and then your work. Don’t go it alone, it’s an uphill battle as it is. You need someone who can step back and look at the project and give good solid advice. Then take the advice. If that authority says run as fast as you can from the purchase... then run!

9. Buy a digital camera, or lots of disposable cameras. IMHO a cheap digital is the way to go. You can document how things came apart, and in what state they came off the vehicle. That’s the way you’ll have to get the part back on... hopefully in better shape. The camera also documents what you’ve done. It’s hard to see the forest for the trees. This way you can step back and say: “WOW, I guess I have really been making progress!” It prevents you from selling out in times of discouragement. You buy a Jeep and you should be in it for the long haul....

10. There is no shame in using quality used parts if their serviceable and if the price is right.

11. Define if this is a JEEP... just every body else’s parts , or a JEEP with all OEM parts. As example, I love my Front Fierro seats, but their not strictly AMC so they’d offend the Restoration crowd. Now, me I don’t give a tinker’s dam for a restoration, as I value function. You’ll have to make the same choice.

12. When refurbishing a part do it in a professional quality manner. If not, you’ll be doing it again and agian. That costs time and money.

13. Break the work into Sub-systems you can tackle easily. As example if you're working on the electricts, that's a subsystem. Get that subsystem working before you move onto something else... and there will always be something else! As example.... Perhaps you're a natural at metal work. The tub repair would be no problem. On the other hand anything electric is a mystery known only to the gods. You’ll have to stretch, grow and learn a little to effect any electric repair. Build a little education, books, helps, hints, and time into your purchase budget and plan.

14. Look over that CJ REAL GOOD to determine which parts need replacement.

15.Look at the interior of the tub. Is it rusted? Examine every seam and ripple inside and out for Rust. See what needs attention. If it does, mark it down on a 3X5 card. When I looked at my CJ before I bought it I took my HUGE pile of file cards into the computer room and entered them into simple database... the simpler the better. I could very easily run a report to see what had to be done, and plan accordingly. The parameters of the database are up to you, but I’d strongly suggest you do it....

16. Get as full a view of the frame, running gear, and drive train. Poke around them and see what's rusted, missing, etc. A bad foundation is not a good buy. Look at the tail section of the frame. If it's rusted... be prepared to do frame work or repalce the frame. Pay a full time mechanic to look a the Jeep if you need to... it will be worth the money for the apprisial.

17. Examine the engine for leaks, compression, etc. Look in the radiator for oil in the coolant. Look in the oil for gas or debris.

18. Examine the transmission and transfer case for leaks.

19. Examine the brake lines, gas lines, vapor return lines, and gas tank. Are the lines rusted, or the flexible lines decaying? If so, be prepared to replace them. Look at the seam on the gas tank. If it's rusted... you'll be replacing it soon and it's cloggin up the inside of the fule filter with rust particles.

20. Pull each wheel’s brake assembly. Are the drums in good shape? Does everyghing look good? Does the wheel assembly "wiggle" when it's off the ground... bad wheel bearings or axle.

21. When were the U-Joints and Joint straps last replaced?

22. Look closely at the drive shafts, are they dinged, bent, bowed, Slip joint’s loose? Well, now’s a that's a good inidcator of poor maintance by the owner..

23. Do the hubs work... make the Onwer drive it in 4WD to make sure!.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:40 AM

You definitely want to go with a YJ!! (square headlights) Anything with the round headlights just screams " r a i n b o w flag".

WHAT!!!!!! That is totally wrong real jeep have round headlights. not those yuppie square one's

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] YJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Anything with the round headlights just screams " r a i n b o w flag".

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I agree completely!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

77 cj-5 with a 304 and the t150 tranny.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:20 PM

Real Jeeps have round headlights !!!

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
I favor CJ7 s, but on a serious note look over new Jeep well - people on the forum gave you good advice. it might be a difference between money pit and a pure joy.

#1 tool in vehicle repair : $$$$$

Igor
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:22 PM
BigUgly

Welcome to the jungle! You might be a newbie now but, when you get one you'll know the true meaning of the word JEEP. You'll find out that a Jeep is never done until its being parted out or [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] crushed. The word Jeep means the three follwowing:

J - Just
E - Everybody
E - Elses
P - Parts

This leads to the other 2,
J - Just
E - Expect
E - Every
P - Problem

This causes the last one,

J - Just
E - Empty
E - Every
P - Pocket

This having enough dough is in real question. It like give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish and, he spends his rent, grocery money and utilies bill money on fishing equipment. L8r,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode