Towing 97 TJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Towing 97 TJ

I'm moving to Durango from San Diego and must tow my 97 TJ behind my F-150 (V8, Auto). I have heard that flat towing a TJ is too hard on the tranny or to unstable because of the SWB.

Any advice on best way to tow with this combination would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Lucky Dollar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:21 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Towing 97 TJ

Pull the drive shafts off when it comes time to tow. That will eliminate any probs with the transmission and trans case. I am not sure about towing behing a F-150
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Addict

I think you will want to wire/ tie your output yokes to the case. I think with the shafts removed there won't be anything holding the yokes in. If you pull the yokes out you will lose all your fluid.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Jake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Although pulling the shafts would certainly be okay ...the 231 has its own pump. If you have the t-case in neutral ...no trany issues should occur. If it's an auto ..put it in Park. That way NO tailshaft motion can occur to burn out your bushings.

As far as stability ...the only problems I've heard of is if you have too long of an extension behind the rear wheels of the towing vehicle (like a motor home) where the turning arch sends the towed vehicle too far in one direction before trailing behind in the other.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:29 PM
BigUgly

I have an old `62 CJ5 and I have flat towed it with, "The BigUgly" a `73 Chevy Blazer and I have gone from Denver to Steamboat Springs over instates and mountain passes. When wind is a little strong it does get a little touchyy but, overall the stability is great. L8r, [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]

TheBigUgly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the good advice. The TJ is a 5 speed.

I have a Bulletproof front bumper which has two welded tabs to attach a tow bar to. The towbar arms are not too long so tracking should not be a problem.

Thanks again.
Lucky Dollar
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:18 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Oh ..the issue isn't the length of the hitched item. In fact the longer the tongue the better ....at least in a fixed trailer type wheel arrangement. That setup is somewhat self aligning. The issue is when the hitch point is WAAAAAAAY behind the pivot point of the towing vehicle. Your rear wheels are about a foot and a half ...maybe two from the hitch point. While on some motor homes ...the rear frame extension can add 8 or 9 feet to the distance from the rear wheels to the hitch point. When they take a tight low speed turn the a$$ end literally heads in the opposite direction of the turn and sends the steering wheels of the towed vehicle in that direction. Then that action abruptly yanks the towed vehicle in the opposite direction .....at times causing troubles ....especially if the towed vehicle is an older rig with stock negitive caster settings designed for bias tires.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 10:38 PM
Enthusiast

Every thing that has been said seems OK. I only have to add that you should go to the RV store and buy two diodes. These little goodies let the left/right turn lights on the Jeep work properly. You can hook up a regular 4 wire connection. right/left/tail/ground and all works well. When you put the diodes in the line to the tail lights it keeps the voltage from feeding back thru the turn signal switch and lets the lights work seperatly. The tail (parking lights) are just hooked up straight.

You can tow at night,day or whenever and be realy legal.

Good luck on your trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode