Best carbs for the 304? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Best carbs for the 304?

Hi, I'd like to know what carb you guys with the 304 are runing?

Also, what is your normal operating temperature?

Regards,
Agustin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:40 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Best carbs for the 304?

Motorcraft 2150...

Normal temp is about 190-200

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

MC2100 ("redneck FI").....leave the 4barrel crap for the street! Mine will run fine at angles and is only limited by the narrowtrac axles & pucker factor. Besides, you can field strip it with a Leatherman in about 5 minutes!

Brent failed to tell you he took the Holley/Edlebrock combo OFF in favor of the stock manifold/2150 setup. It definitely runs better! Last trip I took was spent watching 3 different V8 owners putz around with their "Holleys" for several hours [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:16 AM

I used to have a 2100 and it ran fine. My old carb had something wrong with it and would start running terrible every 18 months or so and then need rebuilding. Again it was my carb and I was too cheap to buy a new one.

I am converting over to an Edelbrock Performer and a 4 barrel. My intake has seen its better days and I want more power. Due to the research I have done, I will be putting on a Quadrajet. For the 4 barrels they are supposed to run the best on off angles.

Need to first decide what you need for power and wether or not you want to convert to 4 bbl. To convert it will be at least $200 for intake and gaskets, really need a different cam, $200 for cam and more gaskets.... Then the price for a carb. Add more if you get pushrods and rockers about another $200. So really $600 to convert to 4 bbl.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, for the info...

what perfrmance impovements will I be looking at with the Edelbrock combo? [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:57 AM

I ran a Holley 500 2 bbl. the whole time I owned my `73 CJ5. I didn`t expierence any uphill/downhill/sidehill,
problems at all. That, Coupled with a Crower Baha Torquemaster cam and 1 5/8 primary headers worked very
well in my jeep. The ONLY problem I ever had with my 304 was keeping headers on it. If I wasn`t replaceing
gaskets, I was replaceing the headers. In four years I went through 4 sets (I broke 3 sets wheeling). My
temp. never went over 200 but one time. My Jeep overheated 1 time running the Elbe ridge road in
Washington state. The 304 in that `73 was trouble free the entire time I owned it. At approx. 30,000 miles
I installed the Crower cam and Holley carb as a package, Double roller timing set also. The motor ran great
to 75,000 before I ruined it on another run of the Natchez trial. I would stay away from a 4 bbl. carb.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:03 AM

I have a 78 -CJ7 . I run a eldebrock manifold with a Eldebrock 650 manual choke., I like it I think the combo runs good. I also run headers with that. Id suggest the 650.
Jeeprugger~
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:09 PM
BigUgly

I have a 383 small block Chevy in a `62 CJ5 and I have the Edelbrock Preformer combo on mine. I have a "1406" carb 600cfm with electric choke, I put the off road needle and seat upgrade and I can run some good angle without stumbling. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] L8r,

TheBigUgly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:24 PM

Better flow means more horsepower. Also means worse gas milage. I run 35 inch tires and have had power shortage spinning them in mud. I have to really hit it to get them going. Again I want more horses. I have put in an RV style cam for better low end torque so I have a pretty matched set. I plan on going to a fuel injection system in the future and for the Howell, you need a four barrel intake anyway so I am just getting halfway there now. Again it really depends on what you will be doing with it. Rocks and crawling you may not want the 4 bbl, the 2 bbl will be fine. I mostly run mud so I need HP.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:57 PM
FuriousGeorge

edelbrock carb and its better than any holley ive ever used
im running 180-200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode