GM p/s conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:34 PM
WretchedJeep

GM p/s conversion

I just found a post about a guy who swapped in the p/s gear from a caddy into his 79 cj. My box is leaking steering fluid like a champ, and I dont really care too much for the thought of doing a rebuild of the box. Plus, if the GM box handles better then its all spades. He said it was a quicker turn radius lock to lock and that it also has the extra piston size like agr's super box. I did an extensive search on the net for the conversion and turned up nil. If anyone has done this conversion or has any links to some good reference material I would be most appreciative.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:30 AM

Re: GM p/s conversion

Do you have P/S now?

If yes then look for a mid 70s full size GM car. You want the box with the 4 mounting bolts and a 76 cast into it. Got mine from a 78 Cutlass. It is a bolt in replacement. If looking for a rebuilt, a 74 Camaro box is supposed to match up for a Jeep turning ratio well. All you are dealing with is the ratios. Your pitman should fit. You may have to mess with the splines on the input shaft or buy a new one from Borgeson or Flaming river. GM have two types of fittings on their hoses older is a flange style and newer is an o ring style-believe '79 is changeover year. Places make hoses to mix and match from your pump or your can buy adapters at NAPA for around $3/ea. Pretty well bolt on though-gotta finish mine so I do not know 100%

If you have manual steering then for sure new steering shaft end for input ($35 at 4wd hardware). New pitman arm, Need a PS pump bracket (Parts Mike for $55). Get the pump off the scavenged vehicle or a rebuilt one at O Reily's is $60 plus $7 core.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:57 PM
WretchedJeep

Thank you for the info. That is exactly what i needed to. I already have power steering. On the 83 cj7, does the hoses bolt up and the shaft or is it more of a case by case bases? Thanx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:10 PM
BigUgly

I don't know about the locaton of the hoses but, watch for the fittings, some use flared fitting and some use an "O" ring fittings. I know there are some guys out there that know the difference. Good luck,

TheBigUgly
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I used a 74 Trans Am box on my 79 CJ5. I went from 4 turns lock to lock to 2.5. It's great in the woods maneuvering arounds trees. The box is a bolt up but you'll need to look at your hoses. My 79 used the same as the 74. For once something worked nicely. Mine were flared hoses. Here's an option to look at. Use 79 hoses, the pump side should,check it,,, be the same.

LM
one more thing, the 74 T/A was a variable ratio, so on center the steering isn't touchy. It get progressively faster as you turn the wheel. I've got 9 years ruff service on mine. The Camaro should be the same.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:17 PM

Sorry in my earlier reply I said flange fittings when I meant flare, work with too much pipe at work and mixed them up! The 83 should have the o ring style. If you go with a pre '79 box you will need to adapt hoses I believe. Pull them first and see what you have. NAPA makes lines here and they can mix the ends for you. One end oring, one flare. Hydraulic shops can do this also. Or napa sells the adapters for $3 roughly. You can also buy one of each style hose cut them in half and splice them.

Count the number of splines on your input shaft before you go salvaging and then they should match up. Sometimes there is some gringing to do on the input shaft-it is longer on some.

All in all it is an easy swap, you won't have any trouble. Expect to pay around $25 for a gearbox in the yard.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:22 PM

I wouldn't recommend splicing hoses. The return hose isn't high pressure, but shouldn't need to be spliced. The supply hose puts out a LOT of pressure and will most likely leak if you try to splice it. It's better to follow the recommendations for custom made hoses or adaptors. I didn't know NAPA did that, and it's good to know.

Clay
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:34 PM

I have seen others splice and I have in a pinch. No it is not recommended. Again this store does make hoses. I would call first, I also know some NAPAs do not make the hoses. That is why the adapters or a yellow page lookup helps.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 74 and have manuel steering. What would be the easiest way for me to adapt p/s? I have heard you can do it with an older GM like you have said. What would I need to do to go about it?

[img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks,

Bryan
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

if you have a flaring kit.. you can switch out the hose ends... on the box side.. since they are hardlined... you usually can can just transfer the fitting over.. and reflare.. i have done this numorous times.. more info.. you can also switch out the fitting on the back of the pump... where it goes in...
just some different options for you..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode