304 or 360 into YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

304 or 360 into YJ?

Searched and find alot of "Just put a 360 in it" but don't find anybody who has... Question is, will a 304 or 360 fit in a 88 yj? Will it bolt up to my TF999. How hard is it to run the plumbing out the back? Will I tear up my NP231, D30 and D35 (with powertrax) long before I can afford to stick 44's under it?

I need to redo my motor and see that I can get 258, 304 and 360 long blocks for about the same...with the V8's I'll have to get carb/intake and exhaust... so pricing is more, but if I'm gonna go to the V8, nows the time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:03 AM
77rigid

Re: 304 or 360 into YJ?

I have never done that swap.But I have a complete 304 that was in a CJ that I will sell for $150(carb to oil pan).Let me know.Kevin(77rigid)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I do recal seeing that a few people on this board do have 360's in YJs. So they do fit. Heck with enough work, you can make anything fit.
If you are worried about your axels with a 360 under your hood... you have good reason. First of all that motor is a lot more massive than the one you have. It weighs more. Putting added stress on the front axel. What size tires are you running, if they are taller than 30" and you go at it hard with a 360 somthing is going to bust. It would be a shame to spend all that money on a motor swap, and then have an axel bust. My advise is that if you can milk the motor for long enough.. Get a set of D44's, build them, put them in, then put a 360 in there. You will have a nice ride then, that you don't have to worry about busting.
If you don't have the time, then you may just want to put in another 6. Or put the V8 in there, and start looking for a set of 44's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

olin18,
thanks for the info... was kind of what I thought on the axles...lomodyj sat for 6 years in a parking lot in Hawaii, 200 feet from the ocean...had it covered, but still...we would visit it for a couple of weeks every year and put about 1k miles on it...brought it home 3 years ago and EVERYTHING is going wrong...Carb, Carb again, Fuel pump, Tires (of course), Exhaust, Wheel Berings, front axle disco...the list goes on forever! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] My PO was the best thing that ever happend to the Jeep. Now I've got that ugly crank knocking kind of noise going on...(yes I did run it out of oil) so the thought of D44 swaps will have to wait for a new motor...and Jeep wife is thinking that a NEW Jeep 3 years ago would have been smarter...but now that we have paid for this one twice...I think I'll stick with a 258 long block and when I'm ready to throw BIG $s at a rig I'll find a nice CJ5 or Scrambler to break (you know, cant get something that would be easy). [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like a good responsible decision to make. And I totaly know where you are coming from. I dream of the days that I can get a CJ-8 to build. Oh they are so very cool. And they look pretty sharp on 36's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Veteran

There are like 2 people in the world that have a 360 in a YJ. I found that out when I researched it for my yj. Only pain is the motor mounts. Anyhow I have done the swap and if you need any info just email me. Mike
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 360 in my CJ8 which realy doesn't help you any but if was me, I would just go with a 350 and throttle boddy injection. It would probably be within the same price range and parts would be cheaper when something goes wrong. I putting the I-6 on the engine stand this weekend so I can pull the 360 back out. Mine is some what built more than I would like it to be and every time I go out wheeling my foot gets heavy and things go snap, bang and boom!!! Not to mension even though I have more horse power, I noticed the tourqe difference the first time I hit a big hill.
By the time you got the 360 to perform the way you want it to you could have a fuel injected 350 for under the cost and less weight on the front end!!! But thats just my opinion!!!! [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Searched and find alot of "Just put a 360 in it" but don't find anybody who has... Question is, will a 304 or 360 fit in a 88 yj?

yes.. you can eother make motor mounts (easy) or buy them (cheap)

Will it bolt up to my TF999.

Will I tear up my NP231, D30 and D35 (with powertrax) long before I can afford to stick 44's under it?

everything except the rear axle would last a while..the rear axle might not make it out of the driveway.

check out pats website
www.jeepgod.net he has an AMC 401 in a yj frame/tub jeep.
I once put a 304 into a tj frame..that wasnt hard either... [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

yes

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Elusive, somehow I knew it would you or JeepGod who would have something to say on it...Think I will stick with the trusted 258 and go with something bigger in the next Heep! SO, NEW QUESTION. Found a 258 longblock that the builder said can add performance options...RECOMENDATIONS on what I should look for?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 03:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

IMHO, stay away from anything rebuilt by exchange companies. I've heard a few good stories and many bad ones. Ask Bluesman about his "experience"!
IF it's not your DD, yank it out and take to a local shop (with references) to be repaired. I have "relations" in Chapel Hill that are into autos that may be able to recommend a good shop. If it IS your DD, find a core to have rebuilt if downtime is a concern. My brother had his 258 rebuilt at 12xK and it was only down for about 2weeks. Plus a local rebuilder will normally warranty their work & give you someone to yell at *if* there are problems. Try that with Advance Auto, etc. [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

My current 304 was rebuilt in Salisbury by Rousers. When I asked what they did, the guy replied "We don't do incomplete rebuilds. There are too many returns associated with partial rebuilds and why we go top to bottom". Meaning they even replaced the $200+ timing chain cover that will kill the oil pressure when worn enough. So the piece of mind with a quality rebuild will go along way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode