Inner axle seals - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Inner axle seals

Hey, is there an "easier" way to install inner axle seals. I went to install them today, but there isnt enough room in there to do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:24 PM

Re: Inner axle seals

I made my own little press for these. It is made out of 1/2" plate steel cut to fit inside the housing on top of the journals. I drilled and tapped a 3/4" hole and install some all thread on it with nuts. I find the appropriate size socket to fit the seal and bolt that to the end. Get it in place turn the double nuts and it presses them into place. It is still kinda hard starting them but the little contraption works well. Do not have a digital camera but I think you get the idea. About $2 in parts and some time. Build it once and it is yours for life. Good luck.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:35 PM

I started the seal with easy tapping. Then turned my spindle nut socket around, placing the flat end against the seal. Ran a wooden dowel down the opposite side axle tube, into the spindle nut socket and tapped on the other end of the dowel, driving the seal in straight. Fast and easy.

Max
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

I was able to do ONE side with a socket and wooden dowel thru the opposite axle tube. But once you have one side in, you cant do the other.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:17 PM

Curious, why not? The dowel fits through the seal opening fine, right? Or do you need a smaller in diameter, or perhaps longer rod, if you are coming from the long side? Broomstick worked fine for me [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 02:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

What's with all the contraptions?[img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

tap it in to get it started, then take a large socket... 2" or so or anything of the likes and tap it in by working the edges. just slide the socket around the circumfrence and tap tap tap it in. easy as pie... just make sure you get it fully seated or the bearing will stick out too far.
no need to make a simple thing so difficult, all though the press idea is pretty cool [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:51 PM
Can't Get Enough

Because you can't get a hammer inside the front diff housing. Mopar has a special tool that pushes against both seals at the same time to install them. The front axle seals also take quite a bit of force to get them properly seated. A long piece of all thread, a couple of large washers and a socket usually works.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:38 PM

That's the way I used to do it and I got tired of having to buy 3 because I always muck up one!! Also had some leak on me and I end up doing it all over again. Had some steel laying around and some all thread and a drill press. I would never look back now. Since I have made this thing, none have leaked and I haven't mucked one up yet. It is really easy to build but whatever works works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode