Question on torque mount for new crossmember - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Question on torque mount for new crossmember

As some of you know, I'm currently building a new skidplate for my YJ. I've ran into a small problem, what do I do about the torque mount on the tranny? The stock setup hangs down very low. Could I just make a plate that the bottom bushing would sit on and run a regular bolt through the whole deal? Understand what I mean? What ideas do you guys have? Thanks!

BTW - Could I shave some off of those bushings so there's not so much slop between them and the tranny, or would that defeat the purpose?

Pic #1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1025506-torquemnt2.jpg (59.0 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Re: Question on torque mount for new crossmember

Pic #2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1025507-torquemnt.jpg (51.1 KB, 4 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Way Outta Control

1. I would engineer the mount so that you cushion,
2 both up and down movement.
3. But, like you, I've never undrstood why this mount
4. Was engineered like it was... [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
5. IMHO.. cut the exess or re-engineer it...
6. Just don't leave it hanging. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

You have any suggestions how to fix this problem or re-engineer it? I'd kind of rather not mess much with the mount on the tranny. Would I be okay ditching the stud for a bolt, and instead of having the piece attach to the skid via the stud, just have the actual bushing contact the skid? Make any sense?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 06:27 AM
Can't Get Enough

I don't know why a bolt wouldn't work just as well, you're putting a nut on the stud and tightening it down anyway. Just my .02
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 07:24 AM

I tossed that thing years ago and only have seen one problem that MAY be associated with its loss. One time the right motor mount was broken, and in some hill climbing the motor rocked to the right and banged the oil filter into the motor mount, poking a hole in it. Since then I keep a big hose clamp around the filter where it would hit the mount if it could, but it has never made contact.

At that time I contemplated reducing roll in the engine and decided that the most effective way would be to mount a small double-eye shock absorber beteween the frame and the bosses that the coil is bolted to.

Another possibility is a link or very short shock absorber between the ears outside of the front yoke on the D20 and the skid plate. Since I've never seen any more trouble, I never bothered with either fix.

Either fix would be in a position to apply a lot more leverage to counter the engine rolling. BTW, my opinion
is that the part is there more to limit how much the engine can rock back and forth than to really counter engine torque. It doesn't have much leverage, and in stock form there is slop between the rubber donuts which means that it doesn't do anything until the engine has already moved a fair amount. The big, tall engine can get to shaking in response to slip-grab traction. That's why I would go with a shock absorber - it will allow the engine to move some, but damp down the violent, cyclic rocking.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

I had the same problem Jim, only it was the left MM and it swung far enough to cut a rad. hose and front yoke clanked on the crossmember. I chained the MM (with slack for normal movement) to the frame...no more issue.

When we fabbed up my tranny/TC mount, I used a wider mount from a manual tranny. Mainly, because that's what I had and it was wider for better torque disipation.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:31 AM

A lot of people use chains, but I don't like them; there's no give when the slack comes out. Just a hard bang which stresses everything involved. Shock absorbers slow things down smoothly. As long as the chain is only an emergency stop it's fine, but if it gets hit regularly it would be bad. But then a shock can take up a lot of valuable real estate under the hood.

I suspect that a stock 258 doesn't need anything more than good side motor mounts. Since my adventure I make it a point to check them closely every time I'm underneath.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:53 AM
Mud in my Veins

Like I said, it's loose enough to allow movement within the rubber (can't see it moving more than a 1/4"), but taunt enough to keep the engine from barrel rolling. It's only 1/4" welded link chain, so I'll sure it'll snap if needed, but can't see my stock 304 doing that. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I toyed w/ the shock idea also. Seems like I've seen some factory setups that utilized them, but can't remember what vehicles. The main issue for me was the space and what to mount it to. Without building a "cage" over the engine, there's nothing substantial enough to bolt it to frame side.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:22 AM

Would the bomb proof motor mounts be better then a chain? I would think they would be tough to break and they would keep the motor from rocking.

They are expensive but are they worth it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode