Where to find a TJ fuel pump? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Where to find a TJ fuel pump?

So my gas tank was melted so i went to a local they pull it and got a tank and it was a 19 gallon tank so i decided to upgrade instead of my 15 gallon one, of course my luck they gave me one with a broken off vent line so i went back and got a new tank this one had the fuel pump/ sender in it but it's broke in 1/2 and i can't get the my old sender out of my old tank because it's melted in and is for a 15 gallon tank so i won't work right. I don't even want to call the jeep dealer because i know i can't afford a new one. The only one i can find locally is at the yard that i found my tank at and i've only bought 2 things from them and have had to make 4 trips there (both times got wrong/ bad parts) so i don't want to go back. I searched car-part.com and didn't find anything locally beside the yard that screwed me (elgin super) and the only real cheep pump i've found is in iowa falls IA (a little to far to go and i don't have a credit card and the rents are out of town till wensday so no way to order one). Does some one have a 19 gallon tj fuel pump/ sender assembly or know of one in a yard they could possably hook me up with? I'd really like to get my jeep back on the road by wensday and am sick of dealing with this darn gas tank/ fuel pump.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where to find a TJ fuel pump?

I know you said you can't afford it, but a parts department is where I would go. Just knowing there is a new part in that would make my Jeep go would make me feel safer. Especially if you need your Jeep a.s.a.p. A TJ is a new model Jeep I just wouldn't start digging through dumps just yet. Unless I knew of a roll over near by. Good Luck!

for the 19 gallon. Probably about 400-500 Bucks. new

I guess I have no idea where there is a used one avaible. Sorry. I check ebay for you. Nothing.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:34 PM
Old Hand

Does your pump/sender from the 15gal tank mount the same way as the 20gal? You could always extend the pickup with some rubber fuel hose to make it reach the bottom.

and...i gotta ask, how do you melt a gas tank? [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

sounds like its party at jeeper99xj's house this weekend! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:41 PM

Have you checked NAPA, Advance Auto, or Autozone. I would think they would have one. I just checked Napa online and they got the pumps for $140. I couldn't get to AAPs site but would imagine them and Autozone would be cheaper. AAPs fuel pumps have a lifetime replacement and the strainer can't be too much for it. Call Advance and the Zone and get prices. Just cause its a Jeep and new doesn't mean the stores can't get it. If Advance doesn't have it in stock they can have it to ya the next morning. I work at Advance thats why I know this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

The way tj fuel pumps are set up i don't think a piece of fuel line would really help (i'd take a picture but the digital camera is in florida with the parents). I also can't get my old pump out unless i really get angy and cut up my old tank but i'd probably blow my self up, maybe i should do it right next to my tj with a cigar in my mouth or use a halogen lamp joey style.

My tank melted because i was a dumb ass and the way my exhaust was routed.

Auto zone can't get one and napa online said it wasn't avilable when i searched.

BarrelRoll
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:59 PM
Keyboard Implanted

talk to me nice.. i think i have a spare
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

sent you a pm elusive, you have the coolest tj ever

BarrelRoll
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:27 AM
Keyboard Implanted

If you are trying to fix this without spending a ton of money and chasing parts all over the county, why not just use a fule pump that mounts outside the tank. I don't like them, and I would chose not to put one there, but it may be the ticket for what you want. And at least you know it will be easy to replace a pump if it takes a dump on you again. just a thought, not a recamendation.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

TJ fuel pumps are regulated in the tank and don't have a return line. I do have a fuel rail with a regulator on it but i would have to run return lines i'm not shure how i would handle fuel pick up and it would be just as expensive as finding a tj fuel pump.

BarrelRoll
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode