what's the dif between radiators? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

what\'s the dif between radiators?

My radiator took a s**t and I'm trying to get a new one. Every parts house I call tells me that there are two different radiators for the 86 CJ7, one 15" tall the other 17" tall. I called a Jeep parts store (Olympic 4X4) and they at least said that one has the filler centered and the other is off-set. Does it really matter which one I use? Or is it just a matter of buying the right hoses for the right radiator. BTW, the other difference is anywhere from $50-$150. Of course the one I "need" is the more expensive one.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what\'s the dif between radiators?

I bet one is for the I6, and the other for the V8. If so, yes it matters. The I6 has the cap on the left (drivers) side. Not sure about the V8.

Try www.Radiator.com

A little advice....don't skimp on cooling....the money you save trying to go cheap usually ends up costing you a lot more....Cooling systems are one of those areas where it is cheaper to do it right the first time than to have to do it twice....
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:29 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Also, it makes a difference between AT and Manual transmission...
2. Air conditioning and no air conditioning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:44 PM
Journeyman

I also heard that the off-set cap radiators had a thinner but more dense core and were off-set more to the front than the center cap radiators. This allowed the 6-cylinder engines to run a fan clutch setup rather than just a steel fan. When I installed the 4.0L engine in my 1982 CJ-7 with a 3 core cap-in-center radiator, the clutch fan setup would not clear the radiator core but my friends 86 CJ had the 6 cyl, off set cap radiator and his fan clutch cleared the radiator just fine. So I guess if you have a clutch fan you should get the same one as in it originally.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:54 PM

My CJ is an 84 with 6 cylinder and solid fan. It came with a radiator having a central cap, if that helps at all. I changed it out to a central cap 3 core and it still has good clearance to the fan. The Modine "Gold Key" radiator I bought has fittings on the lower tank for an automatic's tranny cooler lines, although I have a manual.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Way Outta Control

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I bought has fittings on the lower tank for an automatic's tranny cooler lines, although I have a manual

[/ QUOTE ]

1. TiminMb, that's thinking ahead.
2 You can always use the trannie cooler for Power Steering!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:01 PM

I am going to do a 350 swap soon and would like to order an alum. radiator from a custom radiator shop. I have a 4 cyl. and a real small radiator,and would like to know the size of the radiators you guys are running with 350's,360's. I guess 17"X " could you tell me what the width is for the v8's. thanks [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:36 PM
Can't Get Enough

The one for the I-6 is a two core with an offset cap to the driverside. The larger radiator is a three core and has the cap in the center. I pulled the three core from my 74 CJ5 when I swapped the 360 into my scrambler and it bolted right in with no problems. The inlet and outlet should even be on the same sides...
I had a 82 Wagoneer for a little while and needed a radiator, so for the heck of it I measured the one in the CJ5 and I could of swore they had the same measurements but its been so long, I realy cant remember. I found one at the salvage so I never tried to swap them. Now I have been trying to find one at a salvage again so I could confirm this. Mine is a little on the shabby side and you don't see CJ's in the salvage yards around here but tons of waggy's. But of course no radiators.
Can anyone here confirm if they will swap????
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:32 PM
BigUgly

I have a 383 sbc in a `62 CJ5. I used a radiator from a `64 Impala. This has the correct position for the lower hose, bottom passenger side. Most of the Jeep radiators have the lower hose on the drivers side. This radiator could work for you, but, I think for the newer ones I think Advance Adapters once said that the `82 Camaro v8 radiator is a good choice. The thing to do is go to your local radiator shops with the opening measurements and they might be able to set up, or go to a boneyrd and check sizes. Oh, one more thing, Novak suggesys one cibuc inch oof cooling for every cubic inch of engine. Good luck,

TheBigUgly [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 08:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

silentBOB
Are you saying that you need an actual Rad from a Grand Waggie. Or do you just need the size?
Ether way I think that I can help you out. I have a GW Rad out of an 88 GW that I was going to try to make work for a 350 swap. But the inlet is going to be on the wrong side I think. Now it is kind of taking up space. I have been thinking about trying to make it work with my 2.5L but that will be a lot of work also. And I don't know if it will fit.
So, if you want me to measure it this weekend I will, and I will let you know on Monday. Drop me an email if you would like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode