T-4 to T-18 which is longer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

T-4 to T-18 which is longer

Okay. I have a 360ci with T-4 and Dana 300, it was origanlly a 258. My first question is is the 360,T-4,D300 driveline longer or shorter than a 258, T-4, D300 driveline?

Second Question; Would a T-18 be shorter than a T-4 which would require driveshaft mods? and would the T-18 mate with the 300?
THe T-4 is on its way out.

Thanks guys

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:14 PM

Re: Tranny Swap

IM unsure of the 1st question, but its probably not shorter, its probably a littel longer.

No a T18 wont bolt to a dana 300 without some type of adapter on teh back of it.

just type "T18" in the search window and behold all teh info

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:25 AM

The T-18 case is longer than T-4 case but the OA length (BH-trans-t/c adaptor) of CJ T-18 is shorter than OA length of CJ T-4.
I don't know stock transmission to t/c adaptor lengths or input shaft lengths but the Novak T-18 to D300 adaptor is supposed to be sized so OA length of CJ T-18 to D300 will match OA length of CJ T-4 to D300 = driveshaft mods should not be necessary.

I have books at home with detailed dimensions, but those don't do much good here and now [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I can look up tonight and post more details if no one else does it first.
The only online reference I can find quick like to back-up my memory is -
CJFord
and
jeepgod
...and those don't really provide OAL hard data [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img](sorry)

Hope this helps... if nothing else the post is btt for another round. Maybe a more descriptive title will get more people to click and read and answer ??

Mostly, if you visit the Advance Adapters and Novak sites you should find tons of information for the swap you mention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: T-4 to T-18 which is longer

what are you getting at with question #1? actually the I6 is longer.. only becuase of the engine being longer.. but the t-4 and d300 are the same.. if you are just wanting to switch engines.. then yes.. you can do that.. i bolted many v-8's in place of sixes.. they drop right in.. with alittle grinding on the engine mounts... and we didnt move the tranny or transfer case at all..
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

My front driveshaft is loose at the slip yoke. Loose being it has too much play up and down motion. I wanted to know with it having a 360 in it instead of the I-6 if the driveshaft was over extended? Sorry for the confusion.

[img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:02 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
My front driveshaft is loose at the slip yoke. Loose being it has too much play up and down motion. I wanted to know with it having a 360 in it instead of the I-6 if the driveshaft was over extended? Sorry for the confusion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could just be that the slip joint is worn.
When you swapped in the 360 - Did the transmission bolt back in at OE location? ...or did it move?
Is any spline visible at normal ride height?
What about when front is at full droop?

Should have known better than to offer posting on Vanentine night - Doh!

Also, I don't have the book anymore ...it was given to a friend who needed it. Sorry.

I've never never disassembled anything connected to a D20 t/c so I don't know if the t/c bolts directly to the transmission w/o an adaptor or not.
The aluminum transmissions connected to the D300 t/c do use an adaptor - the OAL of T-4/5 plus t/c adaptor is 15 3/16"

Using drive shaft length as indicator ...the CJ T-18 to D20 is shorter than CJ T-4 to D300 -

DRIVE SHAFT-FRONT 5356501
Front drive shaft, overall collapsed length 30 1/4". Used for '76-'79 CJ7 with 6 &amp; 8 cylinder and T-18 transmission.
Quadratec # 52300 01

DRIVE SHAFT-FRONT 5360982
Front drive shaft, overall length 31 3/4" collapsed. Used for '82-'86 CJ7 with 6 cylinder and T-4 or T-5 transmission.
Quadratec # 52300 02
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2003, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

No the PO or the one before him put in the 360. It does look like they did a good job with the motor mounts. But the front is a little heavy for the stock springs.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1028469-Picture 004.jpg (57.3 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode