Valve Job - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
cnr

Valve Job

Hi All,
I have a 304 with a bad exhaust valve. What can I expect to pay to have the heads rebuilt? Does anyone have experience (good or bad) with machine shops in the Seattle/Everett Washington area?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:06 AM

Re: Valve Job

Try to further explain a bad exhaust valve. Valve bad, seat bad, bad guide etc.
Don't think you have to get a complete valve job for one "bad valve"
each item can be purchased seperately and if needed fitted by a machine shop. You can always buy a kit and lap the valves by hand. This is all I ever really do and if I can't get a clean mating then I turn to the machine shop. You can even remove and install valve guides if you have a press.
I paid $60 for the cost of two valve seats and to have the machineshop put them in. I thought I would need to purchase two new valves but the guy was able to match them to the seat.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:55 AM
Way Outta Control

1. Heads are going to cost time and materials.
2. It's not a bad idea to have 'em:
a. milled,
b. Hot tanked,
c. Pressure checked,
d. ALL valve seals repalced.
3. It's a good time to remove the gunk in the intake manifold,
4. And clean the tops of the pistions of carbon build up.
5. Then get a head-up gasket kit when you re-assemble.
6. Check with the machinest if the head bolts can be reused, or if you need new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 01:30 PM

I had my 304 heads done recently. I paid $80 a side. It included hot tank, bead blast, milling on one side, new valve guides and seals and spring retainers. Ground valves as as necessary and checked seats. My springs and caps were checked as good, my valves could be reused. I also knew the guy but not much of a break $$ just someone I trust. I then purchased my own gaskets ($75 for whole engine set) and I am putting in new rockers arm assemblies ($150 for all 8) and pushrods ($30 for all 16). Hope that helps, again find someone you trust or has a reputation.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
cnr

Thanks for the responses. The exhaust valve in the #8 cyl is burnt. I’m tempted to go with replacing the one bad valve via hand lapping, but if I can get both heads rebuilt for less than $200.00 I’ll probably go that route. I only have the one head off so far so it may depend on how the other valves look. My dad (a retired mechanic) will be visiting this weekend so I’ll also be getting his advice.
John
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:14 PM

My heads were pretty well shot and it all came as part of an engine rebuild also. It your Dad is a mechanic then you should be able to do the work and materials for less than $200 including rocker arms. Seats and seals are pretty cheap and if you have the spring compression tools and a spring tester than go for it. Good luck, sounds like an enjoyable Dad time project for you and your Dad. My Dad is retired and anytime he can help it really makes him feel worth his keep again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode