Stock AX15 or BA 5/10 in 4.2L 1990 YJ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 04:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stock AX15 or BA 5/10 in 4.2L 1990 YJ?

Hey Everyone. I'm new to this forum but a YJ owner for close to ten years now. (have owned a 90 TBI 2.5L 5 speed and currently own a 90 carbed 4.2L 5 speed)
I've got a question I'm hoping someone here might help me answer. I have a 1990 YJ 6 cyl. with the carbed 4.2L engine (stock). Do you know what stock transmission came with it? Is it the Aisin Warner AX15 or the Peugeot BA 5/10? I had a rebuilt tranny put in not knowing what it was. (I just trusted the mechanic). I recently found out after comparing photos and by tranny ID # that he put in the Peugeot. I know that after March 3, 1989 all 6 cylinder YJs came installed with the AX15s up until 1995 I think. My build date for my YJ was March 28, 1990. Shouldn't it be an AX15? I would think so with the 4.2. The tranny code is DDQ but my vehicle summary report just says 5 speed manual and I can't get my hands on a 1990 YJ service manual. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

<font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 06:21 AM
dakota617

Re: Stock AX15 or BA 5/10 in 4.2L 1990 YJ?

The AX15 and the BA5/10 are not interchangeable. He would have had to replace the bellhousing, clutch and the transfer case to go from a AX15 to the BA5/10.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 10:38 AM
legrosteve

Chiltons states that it was used from 87 to 89. I had one on my 87 4.2, and if you do any research on it it is by far the worst trany they ever used. Thank you Chrysler for buying jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 02:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks dakota617 and legrosteve for the info. With all the information I've gathered it should've been an AX15, but I just called up my Jeep parts guy and gave him my transfer case ID tag #s. It came up as one for a 1990 YJ automatic. He couldn't give me any more information as to whether it's compatible with an AX15.

I've hated that BA 10/5 ever since I had it installed, but I knew very little about the transmissions for the 6 cylinder 90 YJs. I just thought the throw-out bearing on the clutch assembly was ready to go or the lines just needed to be bled. It still could be, but I'm having doubts because I've heard nothing good about the BA 10/5.

I'm still going back to the guy who put that Peugeot in, and make sure that the AX15 will or won't fit in with the clutch, bellhousing and t-case that I have now. If it does, then that's what it should be. Regardless of expressed warranty, there's something called implied warranty and under that category there's something called "warranty of fitness for a particular purpose". Almost every state has it and it lasts for about 4 - 5 years. If he can prove an AX15 won't fit in, I'll let it go, but if he can't I'll bring him up on that "fitness warrany". I've broken down my VIN # and can prove by the VIN coding it's a 1990 with a stock 4.2. with the build date (over half a year after the switch-over from the BA 10/5 to the AX15). With all of that info, it just shouts AX15.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2003, 11:24 PM

my 89 came with the AX-15. I replaced it for a reman one last year.

holy cow, I can't believe that someone would do that. FYI, a rebuilt BA-10s goes for more money then an AX-15.

FYI, my skid plate came with mounting holes for the ax15 and slots marked BA-10.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 01:36 AM
Wrangler88

here this might help if u can crawl under it,
the BA 10 looks like this BA 10 Click me!
and your ax-15 looks like this AX-15 click me!

hope that helps!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 09:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks speed buggy and Wrangler 88 for the addtional info. That difference in the skid plate mounting bolt holes is interesting and gives me more to wonder about. There's no doubt I have the BA 10/5 now. The tranny ID case code number stamped on the tag proves it, and because I had such a hellish time FINDING THE DRAIN PLUG, I knew exactly what it looked like. Those websites gives me more ammunition if I have to take this to the Better Business Bureau. Side note; while I was checking the differential oil levels (which were bone dry by the way; luckily I had the right oil to fill em. The oil was going to go into the transmission after I DRAINED IT),I noticed the previous owner had a new rear drive shaft put in but the t-case looks old enough to be the original. Don't know. I think the Peugout BA 10/5s are Egyptian imports and that's why they're more expensive. Gotta check out the site Wrangler88 provided a little more thoroughly.

Again, Thanks. All input is much, much appreciated.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2003, 10:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Nope, manufactured in France, but the parts list my Jeep parts guy gave me says it's an export of Egypt.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 02:02 AM

It would be a big deal to convert from the AX15 to the BA10. the BA10 would require the input gear of the NP231 to be changed from 23 spline to 21. Unless He pulled a complete driveling ( bell housing to transfer case), and used your stuff to swap another jeep.

But, I'd bank on this being one of those "UP GRADES" that previous owners are so famous for.

and are you sure it has the slit case? split from front to back.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2003, 11:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm sure it's a BA 10/5. The case code is 53005454; that's a BA 10/5. I have a bunch of pictures from different websites, from different angles to compare it to. On top of that I checked my NP 231 transfer case code #. It's 53008210, and that' supposed to have a 23 spline input shaft. By Wednesday I should have a response from DaimlerChrysler to back that up. Plus, ever since I had that transmission put in, I've had difficulty shifting even after the tranny oil was heated up well enough. I know that some clutch components are not interchangeable between the two transmissions. Now, I don't know if bellhousings are included when a rebuilt tranny is ordered or if there just taken from the old one.

So, to put it all together:
After March 3, 1989 Chrysler switched over from the Peugeot BA 10/5 to the Aisin-Warner AX-15 on all 6 cylinder YJ models and because my YJ's build date was March 28, 1990 it should be an AX-15, and because my NP 231 t-case code says it's supposed to have a 23 spline input shaft it should be an AX-15, AND because I've had the uneasy shifting; well, that's not proof enough, but considering the other 2 factors it's reasonable to believe the wrong transsmission is in. In my opinion, it all shouts it should be an AX-15. My only questions are with the inter-changabilty of the bellhousings, and those clutch components that aren't interchangable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode