Bestop Half Cab - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Bestop Half Cab

Did anybody purchase the new Bestop half Cab cover, the one that is a bikini, windjammer, and rear deck cover all in one? If so, can you tell me what you think of it, and if I can use it with the overhead speaker bar.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Bestop Half Cab

why not just use the soft top? using the Half Cab...you are getting the same amount of tub cover with more holes...note that the bikini doesn't fit tight around the doors and the windjammer only spreads between the roll hoop...lots of air and water leaks, and a pain to remove...use the soft top or just the bikini or nothing at all.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

We're talking about to different tops. The is for the TJ's, and it has a flip back front and a completely sealed cockpit. It is pretty nice, but priced around $480.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 12:51 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Weasel,
I don't have one, but hope you get a response on this. I've seen those, too, and thought they looked good. I'll be watching for any responses you get.

Upalittle
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Keyboard Implanted

O.K. I see it now...

Question now is...why? why eliminate 1/2 of your cab?

As for the sound bar. if it is the same fold back mechanism as the Bestop Sunrider, yes it should work.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

I hear what you're saying, I think maybe I like the half cab look, or that i can just flip open the top. I park the Jeep at a very undesirable train station everyday, so to have to put the soft top up and down everyday during the summer would suck. Also, because it seems to seal the Jeep up nicely, I was hoping it would deter any uninvited guests.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 03:32 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Question now is...why? why eliminate 1/2 of your cab?

As for the sound bar. if it is the same fold back mechanism as the Bestop Sunrider, yes it should work.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer that from the CJ/Trail-rig perspective:
1. it seals fully, so the jeep-wife is comfortable on winter rides.
2. no extra hardware to carry with you, roll up, or mess with.
3. I keep tools, parts, fluids (gear lube) in the back of my trail-rig. with this, I don't have to smell them, and they don't gunk up the passenger compartment of the Jeep.
4. If I don't put the tonneau on, I have easy access to all my junk, without freezing out the Jeep-wife.
5. If I elect to put the tonneau on, it keeps my junk outta-sight, outta-mind of the bad-guys.

BTW, I don't have the BestTop for my CJ, cause they don't make one yet, I run the CaliforniaTops version:
See Picture here.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:06 PM
Veteran

I don't have one, but have seen this top in catalogs. It looks like the top would also seal out your soundbar. On TJ's the sound bar is behind the roll bar main hoop. The "back window" on this top looks like it drops down just behind the seats, leaving your speakers and dome light out in the cold. You also may not be able to recline the seatbacks as much with this top on. Like I said, I do not own one, these observations are from looking at the pictures in catalogs. Good luck, I hope some can answer your questions.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

I noticed the same things MTPockets, which is killing me! I like the top, but for the summer i might have to go with the less desirable 3 piece kit.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 04:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

I'm very interested in this product too. I personally rarely use my back space except for the floor, so I wouldn't care about that. I like the idea of the window behind the seat so it can't get scratched while wheeling. That's my biggest complaint. Because my rear windows are trashed from tight wooded trails. The one thing I'm worried about is the rear deck cover. Wouldn't water just pool on it while parked during the rain(a very BIG concern here in the great NW).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode