CB antenna questions????? Which one to buy?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

CB antenna questions????? Which one to buy??

The wife bought me a really cool CB for my birthday. Its a cobra 75 WX ST.

Well anyway i dont know anything about CB's other then push the button and talk. I need a antenna for it. I dont want one of those big whip antenna's. I plan on mounting it to the spare tire bumper thing on the corner of the tub. What do i look for in a antenna. Basically give me all the info you can give me about antennas.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:28 PM

Re: CB antenna questions????? Which one to buy??

Hey cool littel Jeep radio!
And happy Birthday!

on to the task at hand, goto firestik.com

read thru teh tech section and faq and soak it up.

then goto a local shop or order an antena, in this application ( a short antenna) more $$$ doesnt really mean more antenna.

any antenna shorter than a 102" whip (which is a 1/4 wavelength at CB frequency) anything shorter is "loaded" which means it has a COIL, or basically the electrical wire for teh antenna is still 102 inches long, although the pghysical length can be shorter.

look at a firestick or any other short fiberglass antenna, see how the wire wraps around the base?

ok, and Wilson makes nice antennas also, they use a coil loaded base and then stainless whips of differnt lengths, from abouyt 2feet, to over 5' I think.

Ill get you some links you can browse or shop at in just a sec!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 01:35 PM

here is one place to browse and shop, prices are cheap, even with the inflated shipping/handling charges. basically a good link with pictures, and pricing info

http://www.hyelectronics.com/

another, questionable service, but info/pics/prices
http://www.copper.com/

oh yeah, ignore most of what they say about the antennas, No mobile antennas have any 'gain' per se, and seriously a 102" steel whip is just about as good as you can get for a vehicle that has a metal roof and is standing still.

longer antennas are better, BUT a properly mounted, connected and tuned antenna will perform better than a $300 poorly installed antenna.

Personally I recommend a 3-5 ' fiberglass whip for your rear mount.

I run a 5' fiberglass on the rear of my 4runner and it works well.

Tune it, Find someone close with an SWR meter or buy one, ( $10-$30) and use that with the instructions at firestik.com to adjust your antenna to frequency with your radio, and make sure the mount is installe properly ( not shorted), good ground, Decent coax cable.

I use Cheap Radio Shack cable, and then solder the center pins on teh connectors, it works fine but it wont hold up to alot of abrasion like the Higher$$ coax will.

have fun!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 02:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello I use a 4ft Fire stick mounted where my third brake light use to mount. I have never had a problem with a fire stick in the 20 yrs I have used them. I got mine at Radio shack for about 15 dollars. [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 07:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Ozark has it all right. Get the 4' firestick, I got mine here get the "tune-able" type. Hit up Perf products/quadratec/4wdhdwr for the mount on the spare tire bumper. They are about $20, they seem expensive until you try to make one yourself...
I use the same Cobra, it is a little unwieldy to use but has all kinds of good features...weatherband/ch9 and presets for swaping back and forth on several chanels.
Most importantly like Ozark said -get it tuned- if it is out of tune you can damage your radio and realy ruin someone elses day with noise when you key your mike.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Old Hand

I'll cast another vote for the Firestick, It's the best fiberglass antenna I've ever had the pleasure of owning. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Ozark and everyone else, thanks for the reply's. Im going to do my homework tonight and im sure i will have more questions. So stay tuned.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 AM
utahjeepr

Wilson 2000 with the loaded shorty whip. Unless you want to run a realy big linear, then the Wilson trucker series is for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode