DIY fender flares? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Addict

DIY fender flares?

i was in northern tool an equipment yesterday and they have bolt on fenders to cover the tires on trailers. the gears in my head sputtered to life and i began to craft a plan of cutting, bending, and welding these on to my jeep.

does anyone see a problem with this plan? they are steel so they would not be flexible like stock rubber ones and they are about a foot wide so i would have to be concious of their width on the tighter trails. but theyll give hella coverage for running full width axles. and theyre about $20 apeice. in round, square, flat steel, diamond plate....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 11:21 AM
thejunker

Re: DIY fender flares?

Metal can/will get pretty beat up on the trail.

How about some lawn edging? Take a look

here
-and-
here

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Addict

yeah ive seen that done, i was just trying to be different and looking for opinions. or if anyone had attempted it and had pics...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 12:22 PM

Make em somehow bolt on (brackets underneath?), then if and when they need replacing, just chuck em out and replace them. Are you thinking something that looks like a dually flare? The round ones look too much like hot rod front fenders to me.

I'm wondering why a guy couldn't make up a bolt on steel or diamond plate aluminum box fender that you bolt on with the stock flares to the outside to keep it looking jeep. Make them about a foot wide and you could use full width axles.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 02:04 PM

Neat idea, inexpensive too. The only thing I would worry about would be snagging the flare on the brush or a rock and damaging the fender as well as the flare. I've seen a couple of jeeps with metal flares, but they were fast cut and try jobs that honestly didn't look good. But the owners didn't care. They were just crossing beach and muskeg (used hugely wide ditch witch tires) and didn't have to worry about trees and rocks. Hmm....Leve posted a link recently about some Pakistani Jeepers, and he mentioned they make their own factory looking metal flares--I don't recall if there was an article or not, but you might have a look.

This is sorta OT to the post grapehead, but back when I had my '78 F150, the bed was shot and I built a flatbed for it--not the usual 2x4, plywood and hatchet job, but a good one with 6" Ship's Channel for the main structure, and 2x2 and 2x3 square tubing for the sides, diamond plate for the rear and the material on the sides and a "headace Rack" of 2" x 4" square tubing. Anyhow, to mount my spare I took one of those metal trailer fenders (from Trailercraft in Anchorage Alaska) and turned it upside down and mounted it on the passenger side, near the cab, through the floor of the bed (the floor of the bed was 2x4 with Varathane--looked sharp). I had a flange coming off the siderails. All you had to do was take the spare, roll it into the fender, and tighten it down. Worked slick. Sorry I don't have a picture to brag about!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Grape - does this northern tool an equipment have a website or such? I've been looking for fenders for a trailer I just built.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 05:15 PM
Way Outta Control

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 06:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Leve.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Can't Get Enough

Check to see what the max width of a flare can be in your state. Here in Pa., the max width to be street legal is 6" (I think).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Addict

oh yeah good point. i was just thinking in terms of covering teh tire. im sick of getting hit in the back of the head with mud clods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode