OT/ Dual Purpose Motorcylces - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT/ Dual Purpose Motorcylces

Been Considering a Dual Purpose motorcycle for a back up vehicle and Toy. I don't want any crotch rockets of cruisers, I like the Dirt bike style motorcycles, but want it also carry me 4 miles to work. Only want to drop about $600-$800 on it. Primamry use of going to work and saving my CJ from Daily driving of just a few miles at a time. Also I won't feel the need to hurry up and finish what I'm doing on the CJ just so I can have it to go to work the following day. And Lastly why not make it a toy that I can go have fun with too.

So does anyone have any suggestions on a good USED model to look for? And if anyone is looking to sell one, I'm in NC, so if you're local, maybe I can help you out. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:30 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: OT/ Dual Purpose Motorcylces

I had an old Yamaha 250 "Enduro" back in the late '70s. Rode very nice in both environments. Many of the manufacturers make "dual sport" bikes now. Most are just dirt bikes with lesser tires & turn signals. I'll let you know if I hear anything (been thinking of the same thing myself since parking has become such an i$$ue downtown).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:43 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Have you guys looked into used BMW motorcycles? They make a great (from what I hear [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) dual purpose that actually does well.

Just a thought?

Fritz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 09:56 AM
Can't Get Enough

You should be looking for any of the 4 stroke dirt bikes with either street kits, or the street variations. The bigger the displacement, the more you will like it, especially in city driving.

Around here, $800 will not buy you very much, so good luck.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:01 AM
gman

Brent, depends on which way you want to go. The line between off-road and road has been widened quite a bit in the last few years. The tendancy is to make them more torwards one or the other. In the $$ range your looking at it may be quite a few years old though.if you are going to do any susstained highway speeds i'd look at least a 350cc or bigger more like a 500-650. Forget about the bmw's there way to expensive and if you found one in that range it's probly totaled. The kawasaki's tend to be hard starting in the 4-stroke versions and heavy -not that that is bad for the road riding.suzuki and honda dr&xl tend to be a little more for off-road so if your not doing more road than dirt I would look that way. Yamaha depends on the year as to which way it leans, but have always had good luck as mfar as dependability with them. sorry to go on and on but have been there and done that, so from experience take a long look at the the type of riding you will do more of because it will tend to be brutal in one type or the other . Good luck!! Gary
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

BMW...... $$$$$$ Cha, CHHING $$$$$$

But yes, nice. My Dads buddy has one, Very Sweet! but way outta of the price range for what I'm looking for.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I'm talking about jus putzing around twon with in 10 miles of home, and taking on some trails for a little amuzement. I'mnot planning on the Kyle Petty run across America or the Paris-Dakar race. I'm thinking 200-250cc. Hell I don't care what year or how old it is. My Boss's Kid just picked up and '83 for $600 with a helmet. I just don't want to be caught on some stupid Scooter or Moped! [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:53 AM

I am a honda 4 stroke believer. I have my second '84 XR 500 right now. I put over 10,000 miles on my first one. (2 trips to Baja). NEVER had a problem. I had it for almost 15 years and sold it for $600 more than I paid. My suggestion would be get a Honda or Yamaha 4 stroke, after about 1980. I would think 200 or bigger would do what you want.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 12:12 PM

I'd look for an older Kaw KDX 200 or 250 (I think they made both). It is a 2 stroke but tuned for useable torque rather than racing high end. I had an enduro Yamaha 2 stroke when I was a kid and loved it. Rode it on the street everywhere. Great useable power on the trail. Hopped on a buddy's Honda XL and wouldn't have given 2 cents for it. Small 4 strokes just don't cut it for me.

If I was looking, I'd be looking for the same reasons as you and a KDX is the only thing I would consider.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 02:20 PM

Try to get one with the mono-shock suspension. They are a lot better off-road. I have a Honda XR250L I really like.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode