OT - computer spyware/pop up killer?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

OT - computer spyware/pop up killer??

Seems like the pop up guys have my number. I have some ads that are popping up with increasing frequency. Also, I found out that I have some sort of "spyware" that is here, keeping track of my whereabouts on the net. Not that there is much to keep track of. Any way, I'd like to know your suggestions for killing both of these. Are there any good software (maybe FREEware) programs that you've used?? I'd prefer to have first hand comments. I can cruise the web and get referrals, and opinions.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 11:04 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: OT - computer spyware/pop up killer??

I use ad-aware. Run it a couple times a week, it will detect and delete any spyware on your machine. You can probably fine it by searching on www.download.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 01:06 AM

Try the POW pop up killer from www.Analogx.com.

This is a site with many useful applications, free & small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2003, 02:13 PM

First things first, quit using Internet Exploiter as your web browser. Is there any coincidence that M$ has a ton of popups everywhere..... and they all open spontaneously when you are running IE?

Mozilla lets you have way more control once you get it set up..... and it's open source and free... which means lots of good peer review and bug fixes. Netscape has lagged pretty far behind, and is having some trouble with being a little too intrusive sometimes.

Second.... find your cookie file and delete all the trash in it from sites other than the important ones you use... like keep the ones from MSN if you have Hotmail, keep the Yahoo ones if you have Yahoo mail, Keep the ORC ones if you use this bbs.... etc....

Get rid of all the other ones... and if you are in doubt, erase all of them anyway, just make sure you have your passwords written down.

I have my cookies set to ask me before accepting one. It helps because I can control who gets to put stuff on my computer and who does not.....

Then....
Hunt through all the preferences and find the check off box to not allow unrequested windows, changing windows, etc. You would be amazed at what is in the preferences once you take a good close look.

Hope that helps a little.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode