off-again brake booster - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

off-again brake booster

I ordered a booster and master cylinder from Off-again auto in New Mexico. I was happy with it until completely installed. THe pedal is soft. Brakes are bled, when the vacuum is off ( engine off) the brakes are hard to push. The pedal is soft, and then the brakes grab. They don't lock up prematurely or anything, they just aren't very driveable.
I was wondering if there is any adjustment i can make. Their tech guy suggested putting washers between the MC and Booster, and he also suggested changing MC's. Which, kind of irks me since it was a $400 kit. If i was going to mess around, I would have put my own system together, but I would rather make it work as is, and not have to replace, but at this rate i would rather have non-power assist brakes. Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Cecil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: off-again brake booster

Any ideas...what about shortening the adjustable rod from the MC to the pedal linkage? Do you think that might help? Thanks

Cecil
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:18 PM

did you bench bleed that master first before installing?
Is the master bore the same size as your old one?
Are they factory parts or their own?

The power brakes should feel softer (be much easier to push) and they won't feel the same as before. One problem with power brakes, vaccum or hydro, is they are very hard to push without the engine running that is normal and is one reason I decided not to go with either of them. They are designed to give 1 or 2 more asisted pumps after the motor quits and thats it.

I believe the porportioning valve may be differant too with power brakes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Didn't bench bleed, how would I do that? It is their own set up...they used a 1 ton chevy MC. I knew it would feel softer, but it almost feels like there is no brake for half of the push. Thanks for the info.

cecil
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'd give them a call and let them know whats going on...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:25 AM

There is a rod between the master cylinder and booster. There needs to be a small amount of clearance between the rod end. If the rod is too long, you will find your brakes dragging, if too short, there will be play before the mastercylinder is depressed. Unbolt the mastercylinder and determine that the rod is the right length. You only need about 1/32 clearance. Remove just enough material that it doesn't depress the mastercylinder when you push it tight against the booster. Maybe they gave you too short a rod? You can weld up the end, or make a new rod. This clearance is hard to determine with the brake lines connected.

This may have nothign to do with your problem, but is worth checking if they are telling you to put washers between the mastercylinder and booster. Makes me wonder if anythign is matched up correctly in their "kit".
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 09:34 AM

sounds like the master needs to be bench bled.

you have to bleed them befroe installing or youll never get the air out of it.

use some plastic fittings ( autozone or napa) they should come with the master cyulinder, they are usually red and blue, and some short clear plastic hose, screw the plastic fittings into teh ports on teh master cylinder, slide the hoses over the nipples, and then some kits come with clips to hold the other ends of the hoses inside teh resivioir of the master cyl, and you use a screwdriveer or other rod to push the master cylinder's plunger a bunch to get the air out, its hard with out having th ecylinder in a vise or clamped down somehow, or you can do it on the car if you can get the cars brake lines away without deforming them and then uuse the brake pedal to cycle it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode