LEVE buddy old pal... got a few questions for you - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

LEVE buddy old pal... got a few questions for you

Well I finally got into adding ground straps to my jeep. I have two installed. One from the engine block to frame, and the other from Frame to Grill. Is there another place to add one?

Also I just pulled my gas tank. It is the old underseat tank. Previously the gas gauge didnt work. It is a new gauge and new sender, I tested both. The problem is that i used RTV to seal the sender to tank. OK. I just scraped everything off the send and on the tank. What can I do to increase the ground to the send so it will work. I already have the gauge grounded good, so I believe this will solve the problem, but I want to make sure it is a GOOD ground.

And last but not least I have a problem with my battery draining. Well I thought it was my electric fan switch. I do not have relays connected to the fans (which I know I will fix). Prevously It burned up enough to disintigrate in my hand. Well I pulled the switch again today, and it broke in my hand. Would this be a cause of my battery drain? Previously it was fine and had no drain.

Thanks alot!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 04:28 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: LEVE buddy old pal... got a few questions for you

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
but I want to make sure it is a GOOD ground.

[/ QUOTE ]1. Run a seperate ground wire from the dash back to the sender
2. Ground it on the sender.
3. Don't rely on the sender to tank, tank to body ground.

And last but not least I have a problem with my battery draining. Well I thought it was my electric fan switch. I do not have relays connected to the fans (which I know I will fix). Prevously It burned up enough to disintigrate in my hand. Well I pulled the switch again today, and it broke in my hand. Would this be a cause of my battery drain? Previously it was fine and had no drain.

[/ QUOTE ]1. If you don't have relays... then the switches aren't handling the current.
2. USE relays!
3. If a swich carbonizes it can pass current through the remains...
4. That may be what's happened.
5. You'll soon know as you rewire.

1. Humm.. after a little more thought..
2. Pull the sender assembly.
3. Tack weld a termination point on the sender.
a. Either a metal tab
b. Or a bolt.
4. Now you can terminate the new ground wire to the tab or bolt.
5. This should work fine.
6. Then paint the top of the sender with some rust converter.
7. Reinstall the sender.
8. Reinstall the tank.
9. Use dialectric grease on each sender wire termination.
10. Wrap it up and forget it for anther 20 years. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks LEVE!!!

I have to wait for the sender to dry off before I weld... and to make sure I am nowhere near the gas tank.
I had a ground wire to the sender before, but I still had the RTV one the sender, so that would explain why it didnt help. I had RTV on the bolts and threads, but I will tack a tab to the sender.

I will put dielectric grease on the ground connection. I didnt know it wokred with the ground, i thought it was a hot wire thing. Could I also slather dielectric grease on the mating surface on the sender to the gas tank? Even thought i have the tab tacked on, a little more ground won't hurt a thing.

I remember now that a couple of weeks ago I accidentally put my elbow on the ground connection for the Fans, and it was so hot it burned my arm. Is that something that has to do with the switch? Or wil lthe extra ground straps help that one now?

thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 05:18 PM
Way Outta Control

Could I also slather dielectric grease on the mating surface on the sender to the gas tank?

[/ QUOTE ] 1. I wouldn't.
2. Dialectric Grease is washed off by petrol distilliets.
3. If you do it right... the tab will do just fine... and be the best ground you've ever had.
4. As example of this... I welded a bolt to the GM Blower Motor when I did that upgrade.
5. Then ran a lug and wire directly to the battery negative cable on the engine block.
6. That ground never lets me down.

I remember now that a couple of weeks ago I accidentally put my elbow on the ground connection for the Fans, and it was so hot it burned my arm. Is that something that has to do with the switch? Or wil lthe extra ground straps help that one now?

[/ QUOTE ]1. That's a hard question to answer.
2. All them electrons are trying to get back via the ground.
3. I'd have to see the ground to make a good judgment.
4. However... GROUND that fan very, very well.
5. Remember... an electric fan is nothing more than an electric motor with blades on one end of the shaft.
6. It takes a lot of power to move those blades at the RPM demanded.
7. It takes good positive wiring as well as a good ground to move them electrons.
8. Keep the relays as close to the motor as possible...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks for the help.
I will get two relays and hook them up to the fans. I will keep them as close to the fan as possible.
The ground that was hot was only for the fans, nothing else was hooked up to it. The wire is a 14 gauge wire.
But I will tack on a ground wire tomorrow and get it working good.

Thanks!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 08:25 PM

Sorry to bud in but just thought something was worth mentioning

Never use RTV on anything fuel related gas eats RTV and I've seen it plug up the fuel pump intake inside the tank because people used it on the sender and on a carb it's even worse.
Although on the flip side gas makes a good RTV remover (mineral spirits too) but gas isn't the best or safest thing to clean parts in [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Buttin' in?
2. [d]I don't think so.[/b]
3. Once I used RTV to seal a leaking fuel filter thread.
4. It was the ONLY stuff I had.. and it worked great! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
6. Four months later, along side the freeway, I was scraping the inside of the fuel filter to get the desolved gunk out of it from the threads.
7. Sometimes we learn lessons by dropping anvils on our own foot. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode