O/T Incompetent Contractor, what do I do? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

O/T Incompetent Contractor, what do I do?

arrggg

I hired this guy to do some work to my boat dock, replace the old loose styrofoam with "insul-bead" enclosed foam floats

jeeze, it was supposed to be done by the 1st of December, its still not

the craftsmanship is crapola, sawzall cuts into redwood decking? lots of split decking that was removed and replaced ( split while rescrewing)

and the clincher, the dock is now in the water! it used to sit several inches above water line ( 16-19 inches above water)
now its about 4 at the highest, and even with teh water at the lowest!
we had 6 inches of snow at Xmas and I went to look at the dock and part of it was under water.

soo

the guy got 50% at start up, and now he sends me an invoice for the remaining amount, I told him on the phone it wasnt finished, and he has been supposed to call me back!

Id rather just get a breach of contract of something, I mean if I he didnt do it right the first time for $$$, why would I expect him to do again BETTER for no more $$?

now I remember why I NEVER pay anyone to do anything. Is any one in America able to do the job that they advertise?

makes me angry,

any thoughts on the legalities?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: O/T Incompetent Contractor, what do I do?

Do you Know anyone named Johnnie three figers or Jimmy the nose? Otherwise you will probably have to go to small claims or maybe get a lawyer and go for more. Good Luck!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:58 AM
balanced

hopefully you had him sign an agreement not to put a lein on your property. If you didn't he can go and put a construction lein against your house for non payment. You can't sell until the lein is satisfied.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 12:29 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'd go to small claims right away. Usually the cost of scheduling a hearing isn't that much. Take picutres ..and hopefully you have picutures of it before it looks like it does now. Get close ups of the split and splintered stuff. He'll get a summons and THEN he'll call you up to fix the problem. Don't feel bad ....you gave him the chance to clean up his mess. If you have the resourses, get it fixed by a reputable contractor and have him give an evaluation of the previous contractors substandard work. Sue him for the difference between the better contractors bill and the invoice that he sent you PLUS the money you already sent him.

.......or just get the work done and send him an invoice (back charging) ..then let him call you.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 12:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles and it does suck when things like this happen but everyone is only human and we all make mistakes.

What I would do is get him to come over and calmly show him and explain to him why your not happy. He may have never seen it and it was a employe who screwed it up. The old saying you catch more flies with sugar then with vinagar holds true most times. I'd try to work it out with him before anything else.

But then unfortunitly you have those that don't care and just worry about the bottom line and making a quick buck anyway they can. So make sure you take pictures and document everything inclueding time & date of calls you make and he makes to you or about anything related to this. So if you have to go to court your covered and can show proof.Most times people like this think they can just go into court and [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] the judge and don't prepare for it. So if you have proof and not just [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img] you win.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
now I remember why I NEVER pay anyone to do anything. Is any one in America able to do the job that they advertise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would hope so but greed is a nasty thing. I've quit jobs before because all they worry about is $$$ and was told to work faster and get more cars through for more $$$ and that they didn't care if it came back or if it was done right. Well I do care if my name was on the work order I'm going to make damn sure its done right the first time thats what the customer paid for in the first place. thats what I would exspect if I were the customer. I take pride in myself for having very few comebacks through the years I was a mechanic. The funny thing is people like that are the first ones to [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] when they get treated like that, what goes around comes around holds so true don't it? So yes there is atleast one person in America that still cares and I would hope there are many more !

If you ask me money was the worst thing ever invented that's why I do many things on the barter system.... you help me out and I'll help you when you need it or the other way around.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

I was wondering about the lein thing, there isnt a house on the property, but it is lake property, and it wont be sold anytime soon BUT, I dont want a damn lein on it.

the guy works by himself, his wife and son help, i didnt list nearly all the defects, and I wa mainly just venting, its all I can do to bite my tongue the ast time I was on the phone with him, I have a hard time dealing with incompetence when I paid for profesional services.

basically he underestimated the weight of teh dock ( its wooden, and has a full shingled hip roof)

Ive had to go and research some of this stuff, had I known I have to do the engineering I would have paid him less, and drawn a diagram and just let him install the floats!

he measured the walking space, and came up with 272 Sq ft, so he figured on 300 sqft of area to float target of 35lbs per 300 feet, ( he didnt count the roof at all!)thats why its not bouyant enough.

He said when he started he needed the 50% initially to purchase the materials, now I figure he cant afford to purchase the larger floats in needs, and I know if I pay the rest of the money he will be DONE.

I had small claims mentioned also by a freind of mine who is a residential contracter, thats last case.

Im going to be as nice as I can and HOPE that he gets it done, im on a 90 day period for repair by the lakes core of enginners, and its getting to teh wire.

thanks for teh advice guys! if anyone knows specifics for lein laws in Arkansas ( I did some yahoo/google searches to no avail) Id appreciate the enlightenment.

otherwise im just venting!

thanks!

the
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:06 PM

Contact the "Building Contractor's License Board" in your state, they can help you to get back the money you already paid(contractor's have to have at least 10K in an account for situations like this) , have another contractor finish the job correctly, and revoke this clowns Contractor's license for "inability to perform work in a timely manner" "inability to perform work specified" "damage to existing property" ect, ect,,,,,,,,,

I've been a ABC General Contractor for 28 years and have to fix these guy's screw-ups all the time. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 10:29 PM

on the property lein .. thats not always fact.. and as far as lic. board.. but thats well if hes legit..

basically i wouldnt worrry bout the lein..

i would get at least 3 contractors to come out and give u est. on fixing the f.u. then send the man a certified letter statin what it is u want done. and what u expected.. and that if he has not contacted u with 48 of reciept of the letter.. ur gonna be going to small claims. if its under 2000 dollars (thats here in indiana ) check ur local laws ..
take b4 and after pics.. keep all convos.. you have with him.. notes.. times dates.. general notes..

then if he doesnt satisfy ur needs.. goto court.. take all the info ive stated ^ the est... copy certified letter.. notes on the convos. with him.. and theres no way a judge is gonan let him get out with out paying ya.and makin it right.. hth..
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 12:16 AM

(contractor's have to have at least 10K in an account for situations like this) ,

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you are a licensed contractor.

revoke this clowns Contractor's license for "inability to perform work in a timely manner" "inability to perform work specified" "damage to existing property"

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the easiest thing to do in most cases.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

I really doubt he is liscenced, I get the feeling he woke up one day and said to him slef " Self, I think Ill buy an ad in teh yellow pages and work on boat docks."

from what ive seen thats the extent of his experience.

Today I plan to call some of the larger named companys here lcoally thta do the same work, and have them give an estimate to repair, IM also contacting teh Core of Enginneres to have teh reinspect and see if it will even pass with such low bouyancy.

thanks for the advice guys, ill do what I can do, and let the ball back into his court before trying to hang him out..

pain in my Buttocks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode