rotor pointing at wrong cylinder? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

rotor pointing at wrong cylinder?

78 cj-5 w/304. I'm in the process of swapping out my distributor. I was trying to change the pick-up when I ended up cracking the trigger wheel and couldn't get a replacement at the local parts stores. I pulled all the plugs and turned it over by hand, felt compression building up and lined it up with the marks for tdc. it came out much easier than I thought it would, so I figured everything was good. It was going to take a day or so for them to get me the rebuilt dist, so I put everything back together loosely so nothing would get inside the openings. I was getting ready to put the new one in and realized the rotor had to be pointing at #1. I pulled the cap and checked and it's not 180 out, but it's not at #1 either. if you're looking down at it, it's facing the next one down clockwise. did it jump time or are the marks off or what? I'm wondering if I should put it in and hook up #1 where the rotors facing. The jeeps currently not running, which is why i'm playing around with this. I took it out shopping and when I came out it wouldn't start. thanx for any input. Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:45 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: rotor pointing at wrong cylinder?

1. Reset the timing mark to about 6* BTDC on the compression stroke, not at TDC.
2. Drop the Distributor back into the hole with the rotor pointing to the number one tower... A mark indicating the #1 tower on the distributor base is good and lets you watch the rotor movement as you install it.
3. Mate the gears.
4. Watch which way the rotor goes.
5. See if you can now align the rotate the base of the distributor to line up the rotor with the mark on the distributor base.
6. If you can't line up the mark and the rotor
7. Remove the distributor and back the gear mesh up one tooth, or go foward, depending on what's needed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 12:54 PM

Re: rotor pointing at wrong cylinder?

On my old 77 304 that didn't start one day it turned out to be just a streched timing chain and worn cam gear for some reason they seem fussy about that.

The timing may have jumped or you missed something putting it back together. A easy way to test is turn the motor to TDC in the normal rotation then turn it backwards and watch the dist. rotor as soon as it moves stop turning and look at the timing marks to find the degrees of slop anything more than a few degrees is to much.

You can move wires around all they care about is being in the right order but to make it easier for you and the next guy I would put it to how its suppose to be according to the service manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode