New Rubicon Locking Axle Feature Restrictions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 06:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Rubicon Locking Axle Feature Restrictions

I am interested in buying a new Rubicon for many reasons. The locking Dana 44s is a huge reason, but also the Overdrive tranny, super-low transfer case, and so on. I have read that the Tru-Trac axles can only be locked when in Low Range and going less than 10-MPH. I don't like these feature restrictions and was wondering if any of the aftermarket companies are developing a by-pass wiring/air harness that will allow you to lock the axles whenever you feel like it. I can think of plenty of scenarios where I would want to lock the axles without being in low range...especially a low range THAT low. I do get into situations where the terrain is loose, slippery, or muddy where I would not be in Granny-Ultra-Rockcrawling-Low Range. Am I the only one that feels this way? What does everyone else think? Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: New Rubicon Locking Axle Feature Restrictions

yea someone else posted about this a while ago....

Jeep did that to avoided the soccer mom from engaging the lockers while trying to get out of her drive way, or using the locker on the street....

ARB and Ox both make lockers you can turn on and off at any time...though im not sure the max speed you have have ...im sure its pretty low too though.....you really should have no need to suddenly engage a locker if you are already going more than 10 MPH!!!!!!!!! the lockers can be used at speeds greater than 10 mph in low gear i believe...just not engaged at greater than 10mph

as far as using the lockers in 4 HI....im sure its only a matter of time before someone pokes around the jeep wiring and posts a schematic of how to bypass it so you can use it in 4HI not just 4 low.

in my opinion, selectable lockers should only be used when you need too...theres really no point in using your locker somehwere just because its "loose, slippery, or muddy", most of those situations you can get away with 4 hi and unlocked diffs
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:04 PM
Old Hand

Ya but donuts are SO much funner with a locker in 2hi! [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 10:52 PM

check the rubicon fourm over at ju, i think they've discussed it. I don't really see a need for 4 hi lockers for most of the wheeling i do, but it is nice to have my spool when i'm goofing around in 2 hi and i'm sure the couple times i'm in 4-hi instead of 4 low it helps. I think the factory rear diff is a limited slip when not locked.

BarrelRoll
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 08:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So let my get the facts straight since i'm the market lloking to buy one, not that I dont already love my 99TJ.

-The Rubicon only allows you too Engage the lockers at a low speed of 10MPH or less, which is fine..Right?
- And You can only engage when in four-Low..?
Now I heard the once engaged you can NOT shift out of 1st gear, which limits you too strickly rock crawling.....what if I wnat to climb a steep grad of loose dirt in 4-HI and punch it!?
I agree about the limit of when you can engage, its practicle but why a limit on the shifting out of 1st?

If this is true i'll just hook up my TJ with some after market lockers...but I realy dig the idea of a Off-The-Lot stock Jeep with lockers!

"""I will drive a jeep no matter how much the price, how old I get or, what my future wife says!!"""...words to live by.... [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 11:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I really doubt they limit you shifting out for first.....especially if you have a manual tranny......i couldnt see how they would stop you from shifting. and if with an auto it wont shift.......its only a matter of tme before someone hacks it so it will work the way we want it too! im sure someone already knows how to get the locker on during 4HI.....its only a matter of time!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode