Need a T18 Bellhousing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Need a T18 Bellhousing

I need one or if anyone knows of another bellhousing that will work (need to bolt a t-98 to a AMC 360)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:05 PM
Addict

Re: Need a T18 Bellhousing

I have an AMC T-18 case and input shaft. It might be worth it if you are building the tranny.
I would give it to you for the shipping costs.
Ken
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

I am wanting to swap a AMC 360 into a M715 that has a 230 I6. I think the input shaft would come in handy but not the case. Sent you an email...
Thanks [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:19 PM
juniorjs

If is a ford T-18, then you need a bellhousing from a T-150 or T176 transmission. If is a jeep tranny then there is a spacer that goes between the tranny and the bellhousing. this spacer have different width depending on the jeep that it came from. On cjs the spacer is about 1", thats what I have on my CJ-7 with T-18. Again you need to find out what vehicle your tranny came from.
junior
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

The transmission is from a 1967 M715 jeep and is a t-98...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 04:42 PM
juniorjs

If is a jeep tranny then the stock bellhousing should bolt to your 360. But since your asking I suppose you dont have the bellhousing. You can still use the use a T-176 or T-150 bellhousing, I think you will have to drill the botton holes of the adapter. This is if you have the adapter that goes between the tranny and the bellhousing. If you dont I think you will be better off finding a ford tranny(they are cheap) and use the output shaft of your jeep T18.
junior
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 05:17 PM

only the J truck T18s had the spacers, and the pattern on the spacer is the same pattern as on the bellhousing they came on!

there is Ford T18 pattern and Jeep pattern, Ford is square, Jeep has a couple of bolts closer together.

I KNow nothing about a M715s T98, but Im willing to bet its got a somewhat symmetrical bolt pattern right GreenMachine? ( assuming youve looked at it, or have it apart) if it does then we can measure the holes for any old T150/T176 ( common late70s) and a few other Jeep bellhousings

assuming the length of the input shaft on the T98 is approx 7 inches?

the common Ford pattern is on most of the Jeep bellhousings ive seen.

Ebay is a good source, just be careful not to overpay, one thats afvertised for $100 for a "T18" isnt any differnt than one advertised for $25 thats for a T150

edit!
just found this on EBAY
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1875494509

in the picture Yellow = Jeep T18 bolt holes, and Red is the Ford pattern for a T18 ( and alot of other Ford/Jeep trannys)

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 05:55 PM
juniorjs

http://www.jeeptech.com/trans/t18.html, try this link. And yes Ozarkjeep is right, cj t-18s have no spacer.
junior
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

Ok what I have is a Kaiser 1967 M715 (looks like a jeep gladiator truck on steroids). The have a decent drive train in them already T98 and Np200 transfer case (dana 60 front 70 rear). The problem is they have a puny 230 I6. I have all this stuff bellhousing included. I have read a tech article that is somewhat confusing on the M715 zone stating that you have to change the input shaft and maybe the bellhousing. Aparently the T-98 and the t-18 have the same bolt pattern on the bellhousing side. What I am unsure of is whether or not they have the same pattern on the engine side. Like i said the tech article is very confusing I can't tell if he is suggesting that you have to change just the input or the input and the bell housing........ And no I don't have it apart yet. Guess I need to look at the back of the 230 and compare it real close with the back of the 360 and see if they match.

Ok I have confirmed that the 230 and the 360 have a different bolt pattern and I will need a bell housing as well as the input shaft.... So any Jeep (AMC) t150,t18,15,14 etc will bolt to a t-18? That would certainly make it easy to find one...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 08:12 AM

yes, the T150/T176 bellhousing will work perfect for a T98. This is exactly the setup I have in my CJ (360->T98). I had to change my tranny's input shaft, because it came out of a J-truck and was too long, but since I rebuilt it I didn't mind in the least. Otherwise it bolted right up. One caveat: the one bolt hole off from the 'Ford' pattern and T18/98 pattern (middle driver's side) is not threaded and comes in just behind the clutch fork. As you might suspect, the fix is simple: thread the hole and use a bolt short enough that it doesn't interfere with the clutch fork.

While we're on the subject of T98's, have you gotten a reverse light switch hooked up to it yet? I got some simple tips on that if you're interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode