What breaks first ?? d35 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

What breaks first ?? d35

me and Andy (jeeper99xj) were talking about this.....hes seen two d35 blow the R&P....i've only seen one blown d35 and it was a shaft....so what breaks first usually...

pretend we have a 4 banger and 32" tires and 4.10 or 4.56 gears

thanks!
(this is not a discussion on the best axle...just what breaks first!!! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:47 PM

Re: What breaks first ?? d35

Other than online and mags, I have personally only seen broken axles in the d35. (and plenty of those) I didn't think the axles were even strong enough to kill the ring. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I couldn't beleive Andy didn't kill his a long time ago.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 05:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I rebuilt about 10 d35's in the past year or so. All but one rear were with stock tires. The biggest thing i saw fail were first the spiders would go and then the chunks of spiders would take out the r/p. But if i had to guess what will go first will be the axle. We see the r/p gone because when its that bad its sent to us. All of the other local shops can do axles. If i had a 10 bucks for every call for a d35 axle i would be sitting pretty.

1. axle
2. spiders
3. ring and pinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 05:57 PM
Old Hand

On mine the carrier cracked, which caused it to munch the spider gears.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:59 PM

I completely agree with Pontiac, but with one side note.
I realize the question specificaly stated axle ratios of 4.56 - 4.10, but just for the sake of presenting more information, the breakage I have seen most, when large tires are used with the 3.07 gears that came with the 4.0 HO, are busted pinion yokes.

When I ran my d35 with 33x10.50 SX(for nearly 3 years), with a detroit locker and 4.56 gears I had only one axle shaft breakage. When I went to 35" SSRs, I started going through axle shafts like Rosie Odonnel through a box of chocolates. I never busted a R&P, but that may have a lot to do with running the Detroit. I have however seen dozens of chewed up D35 R&Ps at the Hammers. The Hammers are a great place to test just how tough different assemblies really are, since there are no by passes or turn arounds. The trails there will uaually find, that one spot where you have to push the limits to get through.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

My buddy has a '99 TJ with the stock 4cyl and 4.10's. [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] He went through two or maybe three sets of spider gears. The last time he blew it up the carrier sheared in half, and his spider gears walked up his diff cover making some pretty holes. The R&P looked fine, and so did his axle shafts. He has since upgraded to a FF D60. He's running 31" BFG's, BTW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode