YJ - Replaced Axle Seal...new problem came up. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

YJ - Replaced Axle Seal...new problem came up.

After taking 20 minutes to remove the wheel, caliper, and unbolt the axle from the tube I spent a good 4 hours messing around with two seals, one of which was the wrong size. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
I finally got the seal replaced but now I have another new problem rear its ugly hed.
It's a Jeep thing....I know. [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

What the new problem is though....is rather interesting.
The front axle acts like it has a locker or has been welded.
But it hasn't...with both front wheels off the ground, one spins forward and one spins backwards indicating an open differential.
What's happening is that during a tight left or right hand turn when I have the Posi-Lok engaged (transfer case selection doesn't matter), the front passenger wheel will buck around and slip and exhibit all characteristics of being on a locked front axle.

Here's a list of everything I did yesterday:
At the start of the project the YJ was in 2WD, Posi-Lok disengaged.

1) Removed passenger side wheel
2) Removed brake caliper and rotor
3) Removed the three 13mm bolts that hold the axle shaft assembly to the steering knuckle.
4) Removed the Posi-Lok from the vacuum shift motor housing.
5) Removed front differential cover (to change the gear oil in it).
6) Wiped remaining gear oil from shift motor housing and axle tube.
7) Discovered I had the wrong size seal, went back to Napa and got the right size.
8) Fought with the new seal for an hour or so before it was finally installed.
9) Installed front passenger side axle.
10) (Engaged Posi-Lok with it still literally hanging) Installed Posi-Lok making sure the shift fork meshed with the collar on the intermediate shaft.
11) Installed the three 13mm bolts to hold axle shaft to steering knuckle.
12) Installed rotor and brake caliper.
13) Installed wheel
14) Refilled vacuum shift motor housing with approx. 6oz of 80-90w gear oil.
15) Made RTV gasket on front differential cover, replaced cover.
16) Refilled front differential with approx. 1 3/4qt 80-90w gear oil.
17) Decided I needed new brake pads, went to parts store, came back installed new pads on both front wheels.
18) Went for test drive to check project success.
19) Made tight right-hand turn into my driveway and noticed that the front passenger wheel would stick, then spin, and repeat.

I'm really at a loss for good ideas on what would've caused this or how to remedy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:42 PM

Re: YJ - Replaced Axle Seal...new problem came up.

I looked back at some of old post, you mentioned a bad u-joint. Has it been replaced? It could be binding. Did you replace the lift side seal? Did you remove the carrier? Did you remove the inner shaft on the right side? Was the support bearing for the inner shaft ok? Did you have to force any parts togeather? Are you in 2wd or 4wd. Are you on dirt or pavement?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

The bad u-joints were on the rear and have been replaced.

The only seal that was replaced was the one on the passenger side of the vacuum shift motor housing...it's the last seal before the axle tube physically ends.

Carrier was not removed, only reason I had the cover off was to drain all the old gear oil. Nothing inside the front differential was disturbed.

The intermediate shaft was not removed.
The axle shaft to the right of the shift motor housing is what was removed.

All other bearings and seals looked fine and showed no visible signs of damage nore were they leaking.

No parts forced together...everything slid together smoothly.

Only happens in 4WD, 2WD is fine and does not exhibit any symptoms of the problem.

Have "tested" on both dirt and pavement. It's obviously more pronounced on pavement due to the wheel not being able to slip as easily.
However it does it on dirt as well but is barely noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:02 PM

I think the wheel spin or binding up is normal in 4wd but it is normaly the inside rear wheel that spins. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img] This is due to the turning raidius being different,shorter on that wheel. Some slippage must occure or something will break. Thats why 4wd shouldn't be used on dry pavement. How are you liking Chry/Jeep dealership work? Get inrolled in Zone training you will learn a lot. But hands on is still the best teacher! Also learn from others. Get the required experence and get ASE certified. It helps with your pay in some dealers. I am Master ASE Certified Tec. with L1 certification. Also a Master Technician with Damlier/Chrylser. A job can be frustrating but a career is rewarding! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 04:21 PM Thread Starter

Maybe I'm finally noticing the apparent "problem" since I fixed some other things on the YJ.
I've had this since April and I'm STILL coming across junk that the PO did to it.

And yes, I know you should never use 4WD on dry pavement, but when I put it all back together I had the Posi-Lok engaged and completely forgot to disengage it and drove around the block in 4WD and didn't realize it until I got back to the driveway and started to turn in. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

The job at the dealership is a blast. I've already got a few of the guys mad at me for hanging around them asking all kinds of questions. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
I'm planning on getting ASE certified in the future, which is why I tried to get a job there so I could get the required "2 years shop experience".

Overall though, I did far more good than harm to my baby this weekend....even though I have yet to swap out the Valvoline 80-90w gear oil I have in the tranny for the Pennzoil Synchromesh I picked up yesterday.
Oddly enough....I can't put it in now because all the sockets I have that are big enough to fit the drain and fill plugs on the tranny are in my box at the shop. [img]images/graemlins/bs.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:08 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
And yes, I know you should never use 4WD on dry pavement, but when I put it all back together I had the Posi-Lok engaged and completely forgot to disengage it and drove around the block in 4WD and didn't realize it until I got back to the driveway and started to turn in.

[/ QUOTE ]

In light of that statement, your post title about a new problem should be "learned something". You don't have any mechanical problems.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Eh..something like that.

I thought it was a problem because it was something I had never noticed before.
Granted...I had never noticed because I had never had it in 4WD on dry pavement.

Although, I did learn something....always check the posi-lok to make sure it's disengaged. [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode