Updated! Wiring Crane Hi-6, Search unavailable - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Updated! Wiring Crane Hi-6, Search unavailable

Update, after pulling my head from my 4th point of contact...I hooked up the mag pickup wires and it starts. However the rev limiting function is not functioning and it runs on for a few seconds, not dieseling, after the ignition is switched off. No apparent difference in runing of the engine.

Still looking for guidance on correct wiring. Thanks

Looking for correct wiring for MSD/Crane box. I would search but Search is temporarily down. Can anyone help?
258 w/TR upgrade, Ford TFI coil. I have hooked it up according to enclosed manual. Orange to coil +, Black to coil -, white (points) to Ford coil connector, thin red (ignition) to Ford coil connector, thick red to battery +, thick black to battery -. Factory ignition module unplugged, no start. I am a little confused as I have upgraded to the Ford TFI. Do I use the magnetic trigger pickup instructions or the Ford TFI instructions.

As usual, all advice and help is appreciated. Happy holidays y'all!! <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wiring Crane Hi-6 help, Search unavailable

You (probably) don't have the Points ingnition...use the directions for the "Ford Ignition - Wiring a Ford Duraspark using Magnetic Pickup Trigger".

You've got it right so far except disconnect the white wire and tape it off, you won't be using it. Then either use a MSD connector PN8869 to plug directly into the distributor, or splice directly into the dist. wiring, after disconnecting the oem plug. Distributor Purple to MSD Green, Distributor Orange to MSD Purple.

Make sure to twist these mag pickup wires around each other, and route them seperately from the coil wires in order to prevent electro-magnetic interference. It also helps to run them up against the wheelwell/firewall/block as well.

Good luck,
Michael
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 09:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Updated! Wiring Crane Hi-6, Search unavailable

Ok, I hooked everything up according to the Ford diagram and it works. I reset the timing and rechecked the Weber...Wow! No more stumbling off the blocks when punched! I'll drive it a litle and see if this helps with the rich-run condition. I had tried to lean the weber out but it didn't want to run properly any leaner. Now all I did was install the Crane ignition and reset the timing. Static time is around 10 BTDC for smoothest operation with no ping even under load.

Thanks to all. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Updated! Wiring Crane Hi-6, Search unavailable

Great to hear you got it working!

The Weber sometimes gets a bad rep when it's blamed for not solving a problem we're having with another of the engine's systems. If the ignition is not optimal and the timing is not properly set for the Weber when it's installed, then we set the baseline idle screw too high to compensate. Unfortunately, setting the idle screw too high prematurely exposes the transition holes, giving a visible rich condition. Then we try to lean it out, and even change jets, and pull out all our hair screaming the da [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]......well, you can tell I've been there.

My 258, MSD 6T, TR TFI, Weber 38 is a ball to drive now that I've got it worked out.

Have fun -
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode