O/T Advise on YJ 44 Spring-over Axle Retrofit - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

O/T Advise on YJ 44 Spring-over Axle Retrofit

I read an article in the tech section on Bronco axle swaps, by Chris Waterman this morning, but was unable to contact him by email, so the anwsers to the the following questions will be greatly appreciated:

I have a 93 YJ, 4.0, with a 3-speed auto tranny. I would like to do a SOA and run 35' tires. I have quotes for as much as 20k to convert to Dana 44s (front and rear) with ARBs.I would like to drive on the Hwy as well as off-roading. Basically, I'm looking for the best of both worlds(if there is such a thing),

Question 1: What would the best differential gear set-up be?

Question 2: What about the transfer case (231), is it better to swap it out, rather than install an Advance Adapter heavy duty CV conversion, or should I consider an Atlas or model 300 unit with a higher gear ratio, it's my understanding that this would take some strain off of the differentials when running 35" tires. I've done a lot of reading to the point of information overload.

Question 3: Are ARBs the way to go, I've been told that they tend to leak internally, but are a better choice when going back to reality (Hwy), any advice here?

And last: I'm sure most us would agree that cost is always a major issue, time I have. What do you think my cost would be if I did everything myself. I want to do it right, without chasing dimes with dollars.

If you wouldn't mind leading me in the right direction, all advice that you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

DC <font color="orange"> </font color> <font color="black"> </font color>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: O/T Advise on YJ 44 Spring-over Axle Retrofit

use a set of axles from a 1980-1991 wagoneer/grand wagoneer... change rims.. for the bolt pattern.. re-gear them to 4:10's.. run detroits front and rear.. and put a good sye on your transfer case..
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 07:46 PM
Keyboard Implanted

1. keep doing research, but remember most folks are not going to say thy made a poor choice
2. your going in the right direction building the axles first.
3. the atlas is a trancfer case from advanced adapters, the dana 300 came in 1980-86 cj's and they wont work for a wrangler..well the drop is wrong
4. i agree with jeepgod (thats rare)..get some waggie axles, or you could go with the hi-pinion ford front..
20k is stupid!!!!..give me $23k and i'll sell you my jeep...then you'll be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/SOA/yjomesoa.htm
http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/soa.html

These are two very good write ups on going spring over.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 04:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the input. I've been reading the postings and learning more about other considerations, but still confused. [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Can someone educate me on the following:

Open differentials, limited slip, posi-traction (isn't this the same as posi-traction) floating, semi floating which is the best set-up for my profile? what comes stock in a 93' YJ [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]

Thanks,

DjC
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 06:31 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Open differentials, limited slip, posi-traction (isn't this the same as posi-traction)

[/ QUOTE ]

Here you go.

http://www.powertrax.com/traction.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 06:45 PM
tennelmo1

stock is the tire with least resistence spins

jeep could be ordered with limited slip(jeep calls it trac-loc)this means when one tire spins the diff converts the power to the tire with the traction still only one tire spins
posi-trac means if one tire spins both are spinning
detroit lockers are the best on the market as far as auto lockers are conserned in my opion but you have no control over when they are locked and when they aren't example- you are making a hard right hand turn on an upgrade and your front tire spins the locker automatically locks making your turn harder and increasing your chance to break something.
with an air locker you control when it is locked and when it isn't.you can lock the rear without locking the front
PRICE-you can go with the detroit lockers for about the price of the compressor it takes to run the air lockers but I think it is money well spent in the long run
Spring over jobs-I have a'95 jeep that someone did a soa on and they made a mess of it. The back is easy but if you don't get the front right you'll never drive it on the road again.On the front you have 2 angles to get right. 1 You have to get the chunk angle right. 2 Youhave to get the spindle angle right.
I have gotten mine straightened out and have no complaints.I run 35's on my Jeep but now I'm trying to decide how low of a gear ratio I need because the 2.5 with a 5 speed doesn't have the power to keep up on the highway anymore.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
jeep could be ordered with limited slip(jeep calls it trac-loc)this means when one tire spins the diff converts the power to the tire with the traction still only one tire spins
posi-trac means if one tire spins both are spinning

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true, posi-trac is a brand name for a limited slip.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

GREAT INFO, cleared up a lot of confusion. [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Should I consider a limited slip differential if I decide to go with ARBs front and rear. I'm thinking that when I do drive on the Hwy, with the lockers off I'll get better traction control in adverse conditions.

I'm going to ask this next question, which may not be possible, but can you put limited slip diffs in the front, or would that cause steering problems.

Thanks,

DC [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Keyboard Implanted

adverse driving conditions..... in southern cali??? traffic jams dont count.. [img]images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

yes you can put a posi or even a detroit in the front.. if you have locking hubs.. since the hubs are unlocked.. then it negates the locker..
having a detroit in the rear.. is not that bad.. ive run them there for years.. with no problems.. of course i dont drive in snow conditions much.. i have twice.. and well.. it did alright...
as for turning off road.. yes.. a locker will widen your radius some.. but i dont think it hurts that much with tires under 36"... when the tires get larger.. then it gets considerably worse.. also keep in mind.. detroit lockers.. will give.. they do unload.. or unlock.. while a "lincoln locker".. (welding the spider gears) or a spool does not unload.. or unlock at all.. and are quite harse..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode