Wrangler Trannie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:33 PM
hhoodd1

Wrangler Trannie

A friend of mine has a 93 Wrangler with a 5 spd. Trannie, behind a 4 Clylinder. It keeps locking up in reverse. Have anybody heard if this is common, or if there is a transmission that would be better to swap, or does he needs to change mechanic? this will be the 5th time he has put in the shop. Even tho it is still under the warranty, it is not a good thing to happen in the woods. Thanks David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 09:34 PM

Re: Wrangler Trannie

Has he replaced the tranny before? I haven't heard of this being common, it might be the synchros? I'm not a tranny expert, I know the good and bad points of the ones I might want, that's about it. It's not a real bad tranny, and if you've only got a 4 banger in there you're not going to need anythign stronger. Just my 2 cents.

-Jay
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 10:10 PM

Was this the original problem or did it just start after a rebuild. Sounds like lockouts on the shift forks may be installed wrong. Does it only happen off road on rough terrain? [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 03:00 AM
hhoodd1

All I know was he said that when he bought the jeep it looked like the trans. was worked on before. Since he had it, it has stucked in reversed 5 times now, and the same mechanic worked on it. He gave him a warranty, so it has not cost anything since, but 5 times!, Seems something is not right. No it does not do it just in rough terrain. The last time it was in a paved parking lot. I will tell him what you suggested it might be. Thanks and if anymore ideas come up please post.Thanks again, David. Oh yea, thanks Leve on the Kickdown adjustment on my auto tran. Works great now.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:10 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have to agree on the lockouts, mine wore out and acted much the same way. The thing is, they're tiny parts, about $0.50 each. The good news is they will come off when you pull the top of the tranny, which is an AX-5, but I can't remember if it'll fit through the tranny well so you don't have the drop the tranny from the Jeep. If they are installed wrong (backwards), it could lock up, and the shifting would be "other than normal".
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 07:59 PM
hhoodd1

Thanks fellas, I showed my friend your advice, and he signed on today with the forum. They are suppose to pick up his jeep tomorrow, maybe we can find out what wrong. He print the thread to show his mechanic. May have to try anew mech, except at least its covered by the warranty right now. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode