YJ 4 banger gettin 13 miles to the gallon? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
MOX
Old Hand

YJ 4 banger gettin 13 miles to the gallon?

My jeep gets about 13 miles to the gallon. I got a I 4, now I know that I should be gettin a littlebt more than that. I haven't smelled any gas, or seen any majo leaks. Whats the prob?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: YJ 4 banger gettin 13 miles to the gallon?

Alright well your running larger than stock tires... 31s are going to pull alittle from your engine... how long has this been happening? I wouldn't complain I get 70miles to my tank [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 02:26 AM
Old Hand

That automatic trans is eating up a lot of power too. The worst that I got with my 2.5 and 235's was 16 mpg but I was trying to run 80 mph with a 10-20 mph head wind. (Wide open in 4th gear) [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:37 PM

Part of the problem is probably that your speedomter is way off. So, 13 miles on the odometer may in fact be 15 or 16.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:54 PM

I'm running a I4 in my 4wd Ranger. It's a five speed, and I'm running 235s instead of the 215s that came on it. When it was new I was getting 25 or so on the highway. Now with 80,000 on it, I'm pulling about 20 or so on the highway (my speedo is calibrated correctly). Part of my problem is that I have a canopy on the truck with a big ol canoe rack on it. The rest, I'm not sure. I recently went to a K&N to help out some.

In your case though a couple of things to consider:

1. I believe even brand new 4cyl YJs were rated at something like 20 mpg on the highway.
a. Are we talking highway mileage?
b. Are we talking around town mileage?
2. Auto trannys usually get 2-3 mpg less than sticks.
3. Have you checked the following:
a. Air Filter.
b. Fuel Filter.
c. plugs/plug wires
4. As mentioned your larger than stock tires have the following properties:
a. They are a larger diameter so your speedo and odometer is off--you are travelling farther/faster than they show.
b. They are heavier so your engine is working harder.

A general tune up might be in order, as well as a good grease job. Check all the U-joints while you are at it....I once gained about 2 mpg by replacing a bad U-joint! Now granted, it was REALLY bad, but still!

Good luck, and let us know how you do!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, besides the speedo calibration, I agree that the variation between around town and highway mileage is tremendous ..especially with an automatic. I can get 22-24 in mixed suburban and highway driving .... not ultra light speed mind you (65) ...but my daughter, in her around town antics, achieves mileage figures that some V8s would be ashamed of: 12.5 mpg ...while my 3.0 Caravan in the either mode of operation is a constant 20 mpg.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a 95 YJ with a 4 banger. I get 18-19 hwy with my 32/11.5/15 tires I put on 31/13.5/15 swampers and went to 11-12mpg.I found that my injectors and intake were loose now I get 15-16 with the swampers when I have them on. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 09:34 PM

Cooler weather will also decrease your milage and FI seems to be worse then a carb. I've seen it cut as much as 5 mpg on a vehicle that just runs short trips (5-10 miles) in our cold winters and as soon as the weather warms up it comes right back.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 09:50 PM

Have the 02 sensor checked out. A lazy or non working O2 will kill mpg's [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a 4 poper under my hood also. I have 31x10.5 under so I have to take in account that I am actually traveling farther then what the trip says. For around $65, I would recommend you purchasing a Poweraid throttle body spacer. It gave me a little more power and about 3-4 miles per gallon. Check your O.D. on the highway, use the mile markers to tell how off it may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode