Rock Rails TJ and YJ Wranglers 87 to present - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Rock Rails TJ and YJ Wranglers 87 to present

I know that some of you don't want to see posts like this but others have asked me to let them know when I start making a bunch more Rock Rails. Well I am going to try to sell a bunch and then get the steel I need in bulk in order to bring the cost down. So here they are on Ebay. The finished Rails are Strong and much cheeper that anyone elses! These costs include shipping!!!!

Here are the finished YJ rails
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...14858&rd=1

The finished TJ Rails
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...16024&rd=1

And for you true Jeepers ((the guys Like me who have no time but want to be do it your selfers))and that want to save some $$$$ by finishing them your selves the YJ & TJ Bare Metal Rails
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...27623&rd=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Way Outta Control

Re: Rock Rails TJ and YJ Wranglers 87 to present

1. I for one don't have a problem with you sellin',
2. As long as you particpate first...
3. And sell second.
4. And be honest with the buyer.
5. If you do make millions... buy an advertisement on ORC.
6. Tell 'me LEVE sent ya... I need a raise! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 12:25 AM

not to try to flame you or anything but if i knew i could be getting 150 bucks from a peice of metal that i didnt even have to weld on id be on it already [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

i thought selling my xj rock rails for 140 bucks would be ripping people off, not saying you are but i personally wouldnt sell them for that much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 12:30 PM
Keyboard Implanted

just curious..... do people actually bid that much? not ripping on you....i actually thought about doing the smae kinda thing on ebay, just wonder if it was working for you well enough to make it worth your while

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I wish I was making Milions off of these heck $100.00 would be nice but that fact is shipping averages $40.00 the Steel for a set is $25.00 I go through 1 drill bit for every 5 sets. So an other $2.00 each. One blade for the chop saw for every 5 sets = $2.00 each and last a grinder blade for each set = $5.00 And lastly at least a $1.50s worth of tape. = ==== $75.50 for the bare metal set so that leaves me $24.50 for about 3 1/2 hours of work. Now when you ad the cost of finishing them and the extra time its all gone!
I do this out of my garage for something to do on the side not to get rich. If I can make enough to buy a new tool every now and then or pay for the enterance fee to a trail ride I am happy! Thats all and the fact the it feels good to be out on the trail and see someone running my rails! [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:25 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[bleep].. i think you are paying too much for steel... i dont pay that.. at the machine shop..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Addict

I just figured out how to check my history and I have foud the I have 170 posts 12 have something to do with the rails but 7 of them are answering poeples quetions. Most of my postings are to ansewring questions not asking. Lastly I do not post just because if I do not no the answer I will not mislead and act as if I do. Don't get me wrong I am not bitching just stating a fact. Thank you and sorry for any misunderstandings. Mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:35 PM
KEG
Apprentice

I think you should invest in a drill doctor. The way you are going through drill bits it would pay for itself very quickly.

You might also try buying you stock from a fab shop with the initial cuts already made. Might be a little more expensive but less time in construction.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 11:19 PM

I learned REAL quick to shop around for better prices on steel, I (stupidly) paid $25.00 for a 6' piece of 2x6x3/16 for my front bumper, then i found another place that was only charging $1.40 a foot, WOW did i get it in the rear there [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

the reason i thought i said that it felt like i was ripping people off for even thinking about selling my rails for what i have is because i have got it down to where it costs me about $20 for steel, around 5-10 on cutting supply's (depending on how heavy my hand is) and then my time which is worth around $16.-18.00 an hour, because that is what i get paid at work and i dont work for anything less... if i got everything set out i could build a set in about 1 1/2 hours, which will be a lot quicker as soon as i get a jig built to where i can set all the parts in and weld them up right there without messing with clamps or anyhting
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:19 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Gooddogs. I am impressed with your work, that pic of the jeep on the resting on the highlift is great. I would love to be able to do that to my Jeep.
Are you selling them "only" on Ebay? Do you do any privat business?
Very nice work, it is great that you have the skill to do something like that, and that you are making them available to others who don't have the skill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode