OT Pet owner responsibility - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

OT Pet owner responsibility

Why is it that city people think when they visit their friends in the country that they can bring their dog along and just let it run?

I keep my dogs in a pen inside my barn. A few months ago when I went out to feed my animals I opened the barn door and a strange dog was barking at me from inside my dogs pen. I knew then and there I was in for puppies and was pissed so I opened the door and chased the dog out and just a couple minutes later my neighbor was over. I still to this day can't figure out how the dog got inside my barn. I come to find out his buddy brought his dog over to let it "run" around and it disappered and just figured it would be back in the morning. Why they didn't call around or drive around looking for it is beyond me.

Well on Christmas day my dog had her puppies. She had 7 of them. Mom seemed fine as did the puppies this was her second litter and she was a great mother to the other litter. Then this morning I went out with camera in hand to take some better pics and was going to post some but when I went in the barn I found my dog dead in her pen and 7 yelping puppies.

Her name was Brandy and was a 3 year old Chocolate Lab one of the best dogs I ever had and it might as well been one of my kids. She was like our kid and was a big part of my family. Its a great loss to all of us and all because some idiot had to let his dog "run" in the country. So if any of you own dogs remember just because you bring them to the country it doesn't mean you should just let them run and you could be the reason a family losses a part of theirs. So please be responsible!!

The attached pic is one from Christmas day and the last picture I'll ever take of her [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Now I have 7 orphan pups to raise and hope atleast 1 makes it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 981279-Dec25438.JPG (94.6 KB, 81 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: OT Pet owner responsibility

Dan - Sorry for your loss. We too have a Chocolate Lab and I do not look forward to the day she departs us.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:38 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Location: Tualatin, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Milkyway Galaxy, Universe...

Don't ask me why, but that kind of choked me up. I'm very sorry for your loss, as it's a very sad story... I do hope atleast one, if not all of the puppies make it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 05:39 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss. Pets are part of the family.

Owners that don't control their animals are one of my top pet peeves. If you own an animal you have a RESPONSIBLITY to see it doesn't run wild. Dogs that have gone feral are one of the big problems with wildlife depredation on the Kenai Peninsula. They are what is decimating the small caribou herd there. I've also been nailed while riding my mountain bike down public roads by dogs their owns let run wild. Makes me kinda passionate on the subject....that and I used to own a Wolf hybrid (common here in Alaska) and I was always responsible for it.

Your kinder than I am. The strange dog would likely have been the recipent of a 230gr Golden Saber (my defensive round of choice for my 1911A1). Or as a friend of mine calls it a 3-S Drill (Shoot, Shovel and Shut up)/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 06:09 PM
Old Hand

Dan I'm truly sorry to hear about the loss of your family member. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I know exactly what you're saying I too have a female lab but mines a black lab mix (her name is Chessie). Last year while she was in season I kept her in the garage during the day and I slept in my tent in the back yard with her to keep other dogs away from her, Well I guess that she didn't wake me up one time and she ended up having 8 puppies (2 females, 6 males) and they all lived and were healthy, pretty puppies and I just had to keep one for my self too (his name is Buster). [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
She had another batch a week before Thanksgiving this year, only 6 (2 females, 4 males) this time. Two days later I found one had died. A week later one disappeared. Now she has 4 left (2 females, 2 males)and these guys are BIG, healthy and strong. They've been eating puppy food for a week now.
I suspect the same dog as the father this time too, The guy has a black lab male that he turns loose every morning before he goes to work and in the evenings when he gets home. He doesn't seem to care if it gets in the road and gets hit, maybe he's hoping it does. I don't know but if I catch it in my yard again it will disappear with out a trace. Then again I might have to catch him and take a blood sample to check and see if in fact it is the father then take his a$$ to court for child support. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
I keep mine tied at all times except for when I take them to the C&D canal in the retriever trials area where they can run and not get in any trouble. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:58 PM
Keyboard Implanted

hey im sorry to hear that about your dog....my childhood dog was just put to sleep a lil before thanksgiving.....i had the dog since i was 6...he was 16 yrs old....*sniffle*

people amaze me sometimes..... i work at a day care in between and after classes and at least once or twice a month a parent forgets their kid at the day care and we have to call em up 45 mins after we should have closed askign where they are.........HOW THE HECK DO YOU FORGET YOUR KID!!!!! so if they manage to do that it comes to no surprise they'd be so careless about pets...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for bringing my picture into the post Skellator I havn't figured out how to do that yet and don't really care to at the moment.

Thanks for all the replies it means a lot as this is a sad day in our lives. Some may think it's just a dog so whats the big deal so it's nice to hear from people that understand that a dog can be just as close as any member of the family. Those who don't understand maybe would if they ever had a dog save their life at one time in their life like I did when I was 10.

Brandy was a well trained dog and will be deeply missed. I can't even count the hours spent training her. The sad part is the last 2 years I wasn't able to hunt because of my back injury and was looking forward to next year. When she was a pup she came to work with me every day and hung out in the shop and it will be hard to spend that kind of time with another dog as now I'm in school but atleast I'm on break till the 13 so I can care for the pups every hour.

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow as I'll have to go out in the woods to one of her favorite spots and light a fire to bring the frost out of the ground. Then do one of the saddest jobs I know bad back and all. If I would have known that it would lead to this that dog very well would have seen a bullet but that still wouldn't bring her back. Even at 40 this isn't any easier then it was as a kid.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:38 PM
Way Outta Control

1. Darn shame, Dan.
2. My conlolences to the family.
3. Grow those puppies and keep the best one.
4. Most of my best friends were dogs...
5. Most dog's are better'n people.
6. At least you know where they stand..
7. In death and life, it's usually right by you!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

As i clicked on your post, Lee (my Brit) happen to have his head on my lap. If he wasnt inside already for the night i would have gotten him, so i could give him an extra rub. From Lee and i, we are oh so sorry for your lose. Lee is my first dog and when he goes me and the wife will be lost. We dont have kids, so he is are kid and it will be damn hard to do the things we do together with another dog.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 09:04 PM
Old Hand

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Thanks for bringing my picture into the post Skellator

[/ QUOTE ]
You're welcome.

3. Grow those puppies and keep the best one.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree whole heartedly. It will not replace Brandy but at least you'll have a part of her.

5. Most dog's are better'n people.
6. At least you know where they stand..
7. In death and life, it's usually right by you!

[/ QUOTE ]
Amen to that LEVE! :wipingtearfromcheek:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode