Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   92 Wrangler - Decent Buy? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/148394-92-wrangler-decent-buy.html)

saberworks 12-26-2002 10:55 PM

92 Wrangler - Decent Buy?

Hi,

I'm looking into buying a '92 Wrangler. It has a 4.0L I-6 with fuel injection and AC. It's a 5 speed manual transmission. I was reading in a magazing called JP and they suggested that the 92 was a good year due to transmission, transfer case, and axles. I would like to verify that this is a decent Jeep. It has 128,000 miles on it. I used to own an 87 with the 258, and it had enough power for me. I'm not into the whole v-8 thing at this point, so I will stay with the stock motor. I'm wondering if the transmission, transfer case, and axles are okay. I don't do hardcore rock crawling, but I am going to put air lockers front and rear (I lost my last Jeep, and if I'd have had lockers, I wouldn't have [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ).

They're asking very steep price ($8k). My dad bought a Ford Explorer from these guys and talked them down a grand, so I'm looking at between 6500 & 7000. I don't mind spending a little too much to buy local, and I've been looking near-on 6 months for a 92 (because of the article) with these features (I absolutely *must* have a manual transmission! And no 4cyl crud!). I may even be able to talk him down lower as the tires on it look in very good shape, and I don't need them (got the tires off my old one). So anyway, feedback would be great!

LEVE 12-26-2002 11:04 PM

Re: 92 Wrangler - Decent Buy?

1. IMHO... it's too much money.
2. The AX-15 is a better transmission, but it's still expensive to fix.
3. I'd keep my mony in my pocket and start lookin'.
4. I'm sure you can do better.

Skellator 12-26-2002 11:52 PM

Personaly I'd stay away from dealers, IMHO you're better off buying from a private seller. They make out better than than trading it in and you don't have to pay the mark up the dealers add on. Plus I like to meet the last owners, gives me a better feel for how the Jeep was treated. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Try to find one with a D44 if you can too. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Good luck and Happy Hunting.

WILL 12-27-2002 12:08 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Try to find one with a D44 if you can too.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were not offered in the YJ. If looking for a dana 44, you'll have to go to 98 or newer.

Skellator 12-27-2002 12:38 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
They were not offered in the YJ. If looking for a dana 44, you'll have to go to 98 or newer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ooops, My bad. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

raymo 12-27-2002 02:59 AM

That sounds way too high for one with that many miles. I would think it would be around $4,000 - $6,500 depending on what shape everything else is in.

If you are looking for a '92 specifically, why not wait until you find one that already has a bunch of stuff already on it. Things like winches, lockers, rocker skids, etc. are expensive to buy, but if you find a jeep already set-up with some of these things, the $8K would be alright.

My buddy was looking for a TJ last year. He found one on a cheesy car lot. The guy didn't even know about the Dana 44, 4.56 gears, locker in front. Also, it had a Warn Winch and rocker guards, and a CB antenna. My friend acted like he would prefer to have one much cleaner without all the junk (ie winch, rockers, antenna). The salesman put on a big sales pitch and lowered the price $1,500 due to all of the junk that was one the jeep.

Olin18 12-27-2002 08:14 AM

That is a great story. Getting over a grand off because it has junk. That is funny.
I would agree that for a 92 with that many miles they are asking way too much. You should hole on to your money and look for a better deal.

JEEPN 12-27-2002 08:38 AM

Definitely way too much money. Too bad you're not closer, I have seen a few TJ's, with the 6 cyl and stick (same tranny) go for that price.

Wrangler88 12-27-2002 12:44 PM

whats with the '92 year? if anything get a 95 or newer, the 95's have the 297 joints upfront and the TJ's are just grand... u just bought a 97 TJ sport 4.0L stick, with Air, 42K miles and in better shape than the 2001 one i was looking at for $7900, now take it its TEAL... but hey a paint job and the thing is a beast! HA GOOD LUCK

**DONOTDELETE** 12-27-2002 04:56 PM

Way over priced... highest maybe $6000... in my area you can pickup wrangler for 5k all day... Goodluck [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]