Is my driveshaft too short? (pic) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is my driveshaft too short? (pic)

Hi all, I finally got my NP435 bolted to the 302, and modified the skidplate to fit, etc, etc, and ran into an interesting driveshaft dilema. Although I measured several times to ensure the same location for the tranny/t-case, it appears that my rear driveshaft is extending a little further than it did before, and my front needs to be compressed a bit more. [img]images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

This is what my driveshaft looks like hooked up...is it too short? Keep in mind that the end cap isn't slid down all the way to cover the teeth, but I'm not sure if the teeth are suppose to be showing in the first place! [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

This also means that my front is going to be a little long, so if you driveshaft guru's think my rear needs to be lengthened, then I will have to shorten my front so I don't do any t-case damage on compression. Thanks!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 07:20 PM

Re: Is my driveshaft too short? (pic)

I would venture to say that is looks a bit too short. If I m nor mistaken, the driveshaft should be 1/2 in and 1/2 out at drive height, unless you have an extreme articulating suspension. Then you would have to take which way your suspension moves the most. I would take a measurement and give Thom Woods a call to find out how long the drive shaft should be. On the other hand if you wait long enough I am sure some one on the board can tell you how much longer it needs to be. You can also go through Thom Woods website and I am sure it can tell you. Thom Woods
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is my driveshaft too short? (pic)

Ok, more confusion...

Measuring my new running length for the rear equals 24". The stock running length is 22 1/4", so I need a 24" running, 22 1/2" colapsed according to the math used by spicer using their delta for colapsed versus running length for an 86 CJ. Now this is where it gets weird...

Measuring the new running length for the front equals 32 3/4". Now applying the same spicer math for the front driveshaft, this means that the colapsed length should be 31 1/8". My stock (colapsed) length is 31 3/4 for a delta of only 5/8" for the front.

Why is the rear length off by 1 3/4" whilest the front is only off by 5/8"? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

The tranny, t-case are the same height as before, so I can't figure out how the rear shrunk that much while the front didn't grow by the same amount.

My last question is can I get away with being 5/8" too long in front? I am going to get the rear lengthened to the figures above, but 5/8" seems small enough to get away with in the front, right? I would still have 1" of colapse, and the front driveshaft is almost parallel with the ground to begin with, so I can't see it colapsing much more than 1" anyways...

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode