rambling CJ5 story(yay 4WD!!) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

rambling CJ5 story(yay 4WD!!)

hey all. well, we survived. last week,i set out in the jeep, first time on the highway. i made it about 100 miles to longview,TX (luckily, right past my mom's house) when the driveshaft broke. bummer.. so i unbolted the other end, and limped back in 4WD. after a trip to the local driveshaft place (kudos to longview clutch and drive shaft, nice jeepers). i made it the rest of the way with no incidents, until the next day, when i decided to go muddin. my first time in real mud. it was fun, all mud, trails, and some water crossings. got stuck once, winched out(also 1st time). then encountered a 2wd truck hopelessly stuck in a puddle. haha- jeep didnt weigh enough to pull him out, just slipped and spun. also, my really badly rigged winch switch stopped working, and i got a hole in my fuel line. apparently my battery slid over and arched a hole in it. duct tape dont seal up gas very well. then i ran over my foot. also found out my front driveshaft seals are GONE. had to drain mud from front end, clean out. but all is well now. in essence, im glad i got my jeep, its is really a fun toy.
-sparky-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2002, 03:23 PM

Re: rambling CJ5 story(yay 4WD!!)

Sounds like an interesting trip sparky. One thing you can do when you are helping a heavier rig out of a hole with a lighter one is chain yourself to a tree or something. With a winch, you can chain your backend to a tree and run the cable out to the heavier rig. Be careful though. I once had a M37 (my grandpas) completely off the ground. My father and I were pulling a holly tree out of the ground (the root wad). We chained the back of the M37 to a huge cherry tree after the winch pulled it forward instead of pulling the root wad out. Next thing you know, the truck is tetering back and forth on the winch cable! Just the other day, I had to pass up helping two different Ford Super Dutys. Both had folks already helping them, and both were so stuck and so much bigger/heavier I didn't figure my CJ5 would pull them out--especially since I haven't got a winch yet. Glad you had fun, but hope your next trip is less painful!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2002, 07:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Sounds like you had a good time. Bummer about all of the trouble... And I hope that your foot is ok. I don't think I would want to drive over mine??? How did you manage to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 07:12 PM

It's not really the best idea to chain the rear of your Jeep to a tree and then winch someone out. The winch can put enough stress on the frame to damage it. You should run the chain from the front bumper, under the Jeep, and hook it to the tree. This will also prevent you from suspending the vehichle in mid-air. Some people will also put the front bumper into a tree, with the winch just off to one side, and winch that way. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 08:33 PM

Hmmm....hadn't considered the stress on the vehicle frame. Chaining to the front bumper does make sense. When I've done this it's always been with fullsize vehicles and I never damaged a frame--'course let face it a M37 or Chevy or Ford 3/4 or 1 ton 4x4 has a far tougher frame than a jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode